Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 18 month old Aussie Doodle refuses to drink any water inside. We have moved his bowl, given him multiple bowls, different bowels, etc. I can take his bowl outside and fill it with the same water as inside and he drinks it up. Sometimes I let him out to pee and he runs right to the bowl we keep outside and drinks it up. He will also lick the patio if it has rained and I have caught him drinking from the bird bath. So, he is thirsty but for some reason won't drink inside. I don't think it's a type of bowl or water taste issue, as I stated, he will drink from the same bowls outside and with inside tap water. With winter coming I can't keep a bowl outside because it will freeze (he will lick the snow too!).
I have recently removed the outside bowl to try and make him learn to drink inside. Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions? Thank you.

·
Registered
470 Posts
You say you've moved the inside bowl, but to where? I'm wondering if there is too much activity around the area where the inside bowl is.

Have you tried inching the outside bowl slowly to inside? Like a half inch every other day or the like?

No salt chicken broth added to the inside water bowl?

Is there a wall or something one bowl is against and the other isn't? Some dogs will be fine with a type of bowl (like steel), but if it moves, they avoid it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi - his regular inside bowl is next to his food and he shares the water bowl with our other dog (they each have a food bowl and share water bowl). It’s up against the cabinet. We created a second water bowl about 20 feet away when he wouldn’t drink out of his regular bowl. The outside bowl was for summer drinking when the dogs are outside for a while. This became his go-to as previously mentioned. I recently moved the outside bowl inside next to his food. We haven’t used any flavoring in any of the water. Ice cubes grab minimal attention to his inside bowl. Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Just for fun, can you try a bowl of rain water in the indoor bowl? I know you said you tried tap outside, but I'm wondering if he already has a predisposition to drinking rain water. My pup will take any chance he gets to drink my aquarium water or out his bowl outside after it rains.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just for fun, can you try a bowl of rain water in the indoor bowl? I know you said you tried tap outside, but I'm wondering if he already has a predisposition to drinking rain water. My pup will take any chance he gets to drink my aquarium water or out his bowl outside after it rains.
I will definitely try that - now we just need some rain! thank you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts