Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pups used to love going out into the back yard to run around and do his business. A few months ago he had surgery on his right hand leg and had to be slowly walked on a leash everywhere, even in the back yard. He's made it through recovery just fine, but now for some reason he will refuse to go to the bathroom in the backyard. I'll let him out and he'll just stare at the yard. Sometimes he will go out and sniff around for a while, but eventually he'll just sit and stare at me until we go in. He is so obstinate about it that he'll willingly sit in the house for 12+ hours rather than go outside in the yard.
The second we step out of the yard on a walk, he'll go. I know he's just wanting to go on a walk, and so he's trying to refuse to go when I just let him out in the yard. I just need some pointers on how to break him off this habit.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I would try to get a neighbour's or friend's dog to mark in your back yard. It just might be the push needed to get him interested to leave his scents there again.

·
Registered
571 Posts
My pups used to love going out into the back yard to run around and do his business. A few months ago he had surgery on his right hand leg and had to be slowly walked on a leash everywhere, even in the back yard. He's made it through recovery just fine, but now for some reason he will refuse to go to the bathroom in the backyard. I'll let him out and he'll just stare at the yard. Sometimes he will go out and sniff around for a while, but eventually he'll just sit and stare at me until we go in. He is so obstinate about it that he'll willingly sit in the house for 12+ hours rather than go outside in the yard.
The second we step out of the yard on a walk, he'll go. I know he's just wanting to go on a walk, and so he's trying to refuse to go when I just let him out in the yard. I just need some pointers on how to break him off this habit.
Without trying to be rude, I don't think the dog's habit needs to be broken. I would advise to just walk your dog on a schedule. Problem solved (insofar that there is a problem at all).

There is a good chance that the dog has just learned to see the back yard as part of the house and you have trained him not relieve himself in the house. If it's walled in, it's quite possible that it's part of the "kennel" in his head.

ergo.... (see where I'm going with this?) ... the dog is probably just doing exactly what you trained him to do, i.e. wait until you take him out of the house to do his business.

Also, don't forget, to a dog, walking is just about as important and breathing and eating. If your are right and he is telling you to take him for a walk then I wouldn't see that as an "issue" with the dog at all... dogs need to walk.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts