Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small rescue, Lily, they told me she was a wire haired fox terrier mix, about 10 LBS. but my guess would be a Jack Russel Chihuahua mix. I'm no expert however, I got her directly from animal care and control with no knowledge of her background. I got her when she was 3.5 years according to ACAC. So now she would be approximately 5 years old.

Me and my roommate moved into an apartment together about 4 months ago. She had visited me before once about 5 months prior to moving into together and they got along fine. My roommate had no concerns about the dog, she had dogs before, ect.

Recently the dog nipped at her. I understand why, we were talking in my room, my roommate hardly frequents it and it is often just me and Lily's area. And while they had been playing moments before my roommate suddenly swung her face toward my dogs, I wouldn't have liked that either. She nipped at her. This was the night before last. She had lunged before but never made contact. She did this time, and didn't break skin. Then last night (the night after the incident) We were talking about what happened and solutions, again in my room, and my roommate moved her arms rather suddenly and Lily went for her hand but I stopped her before contact. My roommate had been petting her, making and effort. Lily seemed fine before the near miss incident.

My roommate was rightly frustrated. Her and dogs relationship so far had been positive. Roommate would give her food and water, cuddle, play together when I wasn't home. I know that her aggression only appears when I am also there, causing her to be protective of me.

She also tends to get into the trash, my roommate feels she is picking it up every time she comes home. I don't feel this way, but I am often not home when she is. The issue is she doesn't see me scold my dog. I don't feel that one, Lily will understand if I scold her after the fact. Yes I can put her nose in it, say bad dog, but the action is not there to associate. I've told my roommate that she doesn't need to scold her I will do so, and pick up after her when I return home. I understand my dog my responsibility.

I've also told her she can put the dog in my room. I am not under the impression that my roommate needs to feel uncomfortable in her home. I explained to her this is similar to kenneling, and we can get her a kennel if need me. It's just a matter of training her. My roommate feels this is extreme. But I know that if it remains an issue then it's an option and for now at least a temporary one, putting her in my room.

I think half the issue is that my roommate wants to get along with the dog, she likes dogs. But she's finding it difficult with the dog liking her, then not suddenly when I return home. How can I facilitate that relationship, become less protective of me in not just my home but ours.

I've decided to get a trashcan for the bathroom that will prevent her from getting into it, change her diet to a higher thytrophin one perhaps more fiber? Suggestions on brand would be nice. And I also want to walk her more. Before I moved, she got walked at least twice a day even for a few blocks because we didn't have a backyard. I've gotten lazy. But it seems odd that this would affect her 4 months into living together. I hope this will curb the aggression.

I'm open to tips on training her to be less aggressive, and not get into the trash as often would be appreciated. My roommate wants to like the dog, truly. And like I said they do get along until I am there and she perceives my roommate as doing something too abrupt for her taste. I don't know if I show signs of being surprised by it, which I did once or twice before which I know didn't help the behavior.

Look forward to your responses.

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
Why label this 'aggro'?

She's a terrierrrist - they react 1st, & apologize later. *Shrug*.

Nothing aggro in it, that i can see - Roomie needs to slow down & think about not overwhelming or surprising a 10# dog with 32 sharp teeth, who is - as are all terrierrrists - reactive & easy to startle, & who may be personally a bit paranoid.

Put the dog in my own room when I'm not home, would be my own recourse, if she were mine. // I'd put the trash in a bag, not a can which can be tipped -
& i'd stash it in a desk-drawer [bag rolled closed] or hang it on a hanger in the closet, or close it & set it on the overhead shelf in the closet, or otherwise make it impossible to get into.
BATTERIES are lethal objects, as are pennies [now solid zinc with a thin copper-alloy coating to color them] - many, many things that go into trash-cans, or onto floors, are potentially fatal to small dogs [& big dogs!]. Keep her safe by policing the room B4 U depart, & in fact, also BEFORE U go to sleep... just in case, looking for any scary things under the bed, in the carpet, & so on. PINS & even more so, needles can kill a dog - as can thread, slicing thru internal organs or accordioning the intestines.

An airline-approved shipping-crate is my preferred 'safe spot' to confine trash-diving dogs, with no pads on the floor & a nice hunk of busywork to keep them happily occupied: an antler, a stuffed & frozen Kong, a thick-walled sterilized marrowbone filled with wet-food & frozen, etc.
Shipping-crates are the gold standard for transporting any pet - burst tested, won't crush, they don't FOLD & trap the dog as wire "show" crates will, etc. Very safe & very sturdy - they last for decades, easy to sanitize, lightweight, don't leak, there's a moat for spills so the dog can lie on the higher center & not lie in a puddle, & so on.

Wire show-crates are only meant to be used SITTING STILL in a house or on other stable surfaces - never in any vehicle. They pin the dog down in space, leaving them visible from 4 sides & above without walls, roof, & no solid floor. M dogs can pee out the 'walls' onto floors & furniture; vomit, diarrhea, spilled food, etc, can be flung by the dog thru the mesh as the shallow tray flexes underfoot, & slingshots the slop out the wall openings.
The cheap plastic trays crack & split; the cheap metal trays bend, rust, & flake paint [which dogs can ingest]. // Draping a show-crate with a blanket just lets the occupant pull the blanket in, to shred it as a pastime. :eek: :(

I'd confine her to a shipping-crate for her own safety, & if U don't own one, look on sites like CraigsList, eBay, PreLoved, Gumtree, etc, for a used airline-crate. It should save U approx 1/2 the cost of retail-new. :)
to determine how big it should be "try on" a floor-model shipping crate at any big-box pet supply. So long as she can enter, U-Turn, & exit, it's big-enuf; crates are for lying down in, not standing with head up & neck extended, nor for jumping up & down, running front to back, etc. :p // Any crate she can U-turn & exit will also allow her to stand up, turn about, & lie on the other side for awhile. ;)
Note the dimensions [L x W x H] of the crate that's both adequate to U-turns & smallest - a bigger crate in a car or plane only lets her FLY ABOUT & hit the walls, in an impact. Limited size prevents injury to the dog by limiting how far she can be flung... remember conservation of momentum?

Look on the pre-owned sites for a used crate of the apropos dimensions, & / or post a wanted ad listing those standard dimensions & stipulate it's to be an airline crate, not a wire show-crate.

It's shocking how many ppl use wire crates in cars or RVs, even show handlers! - knowing that every wire is a potential skewer for anyone inside the vehicle, pet, passengers, other pets, whoever. :eek: Yikes.

Let us know how she gets on, please? :)
- terry

1 - 2 of 2 Posts