Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a pitbull mix (boxer they think) he is around 5.5years old and I’ve had him for 2. semi recently he has started this thing at what appears random times.
First it always happens at night. His behavior is as follows. He constantly smacks his lips together and drools/produces saliva. It is so bad that it leaves the carpet in the house drench all over. He will lay on the floor or his bed and will appear to be comfortable continuing the behavior or slowing down and stopping with it. Then suddenly he bursts up and briskly walks into another room, rinse and repeat. It so disturbing to the household that it gets to the point where I have to go to “his room” and lay in there with him. Even isolated to a single room he does the same behavior, comfortable on couch, jump up move to floor, then to his bed, back to couch and so on. As far as I can see there is no rhyme or reason to the behavior. He does not get food besides his standard food and standard dog treats.
The last time I was at the vet for his annuals I mentioned it and they gave me some antacids (which didn’t appear to help either way), as well as some anti anxiety medicine.
Since it’s so random, it’s hard to take him to the vet for it as there’s no way to get him there while the issue is happening.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
357 Posts
If you want the vet to see what he's doing record it next time. Take note of the time of day and what he did just before he starts the behavior. Is anything going on in the house or outside. Even record smells, sounds, temperature, etc. Be aware of everything.

My dog that passed used to freak out and run into a room, jump up on a chair, couch, bed, etc, and hide behind someone. He was a German Shepherd, so not exactly small. It took a while to figure out the problem. It was boxes and packages that were delivered and either opened right away or that sat in the hallway. He was afraid of the boxes. Not necessarily the boxes themselves but he was afraid about someone opening them and the sound and possible popping of bubble wrap and the sound of crinkling packing materials.

He would run and hide if someone had cookies. We found out if was because he hated peanut butter and he didn't want peanut butter, but he was super sensitive and didn't want to say no to anything we offered him so he'd hide to avoid having to eat it. lol

He was the best <3

1 - 2 of 2 Posts