Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i know most people are gonna say that my dog (10 month old corgi) needs to get used to the new puppy but they already went through that stage. When we first got the puppy my corgi and german shepherd didn’t like her. We expected this as it is very normal (out german shepherd didn’t like our corgi when we got him but now they’re best friends) currently it has 6 weeks and our corgi is already friends with the puppy. (Plays, sleeps basically anything that dogs who have live with each other do) but about 1-2 weeks ago my mom told me that our corgi attacked the puppy while she was giving them treats, she told me that later that day when the puppy was laying going to lay next to her my corgi suddenly got up from where he was and attacked the puppy. About two days later I witnessed it myself and again it was with treats. Its been maybe 2/3 times since then that he has attacked the puppy, they have all been during treat/trick times. All the time, outside those that he had attacked her, they are like best friends. i know people will say it is because of food, which it is, but he never cares about anything while doing the trick except the treat itself, it’s weird for him to be aggressive during trick/treat time. He always blocks the other dogs around him. Is he jealous or is it just a case of food aggression?? Before this started he never showed food aggression and still doesn’t except in those cases. Also he doesn’t attacked her in a like “imma kill you” way its more of a like “fuck off” kinda way but he still gets a few bites in, the puppy doesn’t get hurt, mostly scared. She’s also never close enough for him to be mad about her being too close.

Summary: 10 month old corgi has attacked puppy that arrived 6 weeks ago 3-5 times in the past two weeks days, most of the times for treats which is unusual for him. Besides those moments they are best friends.

·
Super Moderator
6,502 Posts
It does sound like the treat is the trigger, so you will need to be careful that it doesn't escalate to other things. That could be normal food, toys, you, or even a sunny spot on the floor.

Dogs are hard wired not to share, if they were in the wild their survival depends on keeping food for themselves. So treat them in separate rooms, feed them in separate rooms - make that competition for food unnecessary and a non-issue by not having them where they can see the other.

Your older dog Is just starting to come into adulthood too which may be relevant.

Also, have a look at our RG thread and read the book ”Mine” by Jean Donaldson.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Just want to add that your thread title uses the word "randomly", but dogs never attack each other randomly, even though it may look that way to us. We are just not always seeing the reason. In addition to the above advice I will add that very closely observing all of your dogs' interactions will allow you to see the subtle body language cues to tell you what is causing this. It may be about food, but since you mentioned that it has happened when one goes to lie next to the other, there are other reasons as well, I would guess. So watch the dogs very closely, as if you had to study them for a test or something, and note all of the little things like a twitching ear or a sideways glance, and what happens before that and after that. You will learn to read their language, which is vitally important in any case, and you will also learn a lot more about the interactions between the dogs and why this keeps happening. Once you understand that better you can take more effective steps to stop it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts