Dog Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my dog is a 6-month-old Boxer puppy, he is really protective around my parents and thanks to this protective behaviour, I can't spend any time with my parents! What should I do?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't know how old you are, but it concerns me when someone says they can't spend time with their parents because of their dog. Chances are, you still need your parents, even if you are slightly older. A dog should add to family bonds, not take away from them. You should be able to spend time with your parents, even if that means putting the dog in a crate or in another room until you can teach him how to behave appropriately when you are all together.

But most importantly, your dog is still very young. He will need to learn what is appropriate behavior in your family. For example, he needs to learn that when he is with you and your parents, he needs to be calm. You and/or your parents will have to teach this kindly, patiently, but consistently. This might mean teaching the dog to settle on his mat, or removing him or yourselves if can't stay calm, or maybe just tweaking the way you play or communicate with your dog so that it's clearer to him what you expect.

As other members have said, it would be helpful to know more details about what exactly is going on, so that you can get some training ideas that are tailored to your dog and you. But often enough, 6 month old dogs just need to learn some manners. Since you say he is your dog, are you responsible for training him or are your parents willing to help you?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know how old you are, but it concerns me when someone says they can't spend time with their parents because of their dog. Chances are, you still need your parents, even if you are slightly older. A dog should add to family bonds, not take away from them. You should be able to spend time with your parents, even if that means putting the dog in a crate or in another room until you can teach him how to behave appropriately when you are all together.

But most importantly, your dog is still very young. He will need to learn what is appropriate behavior in your family. For example, he needs to learn that when he is with you and your parents, he needs to be calm. You and/or your parents will have to teach this kindly, patiently, but consistently. This might mean teaching the dog to settle on his mat, or removing him or yourselves if can't stay calm, or maybe just tweaking the way you play or communicate with your dog so that it's clearer to him what you expect.

As other members have said, it would be helpful to know more details about what exactly is going on, so that you can get some training ideas that are tailored to your dog and you. But often enough, 6 month old dogs just need to learn some manners. Since you say he is your dog, are you responsible for training him or are your parents willing to help you?
I’m 14, I don’t have a crate. It mostly happens when I lean over to kiss my parents in bed, and when i go near them when they eat.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Are you 100% sure that this is not playful? Because there's a huge difference between a puppy playfully biting and a dog being aggressive.

If this genuine aggression, and this is your dog, then you need to train the dog because that is your responsibility. As your parents to buy a crate or use your own money if you have some. If this only happens when you lean over to kiss them good night then put the dog out of the room when you are going to do that.

What training have you done so far with this dog?

You will need to work on this very seriously because if he actually bites someone there may be a lot of trouble, and it will be very bad for the dog.
Also, we can advise you now how to train your dog but once the dog has actually bitten, we cannot any longer help you.

And you say "mostly when..." What other times does this happen?

It is 100% unacceptable for a dog to behave the way yours does, if it is really snapping at people with aggression that is going on. Please take this seriously.

·
Super Moderator
6,487 Posts
I think your parents need to step in too.

You have already posted about the dog being a nuisance in the kitchen, how is it going with the training on going to his place and staying there?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think your parents need to step in too.

You have already posted about the dog being a nuisance in the kitchen, how is it going with the training on going to his place and staying there?
The training is not working! I'm at breaking point with this!

·
Super Moderator
6,487 Posts
To be fair, you haven't been at it for long. How have you approached it, and how often have you tried.

Do your parents know how you feel? Are they stepping in?

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
The training is not working! I'm at breaking point with this!
When people say "the training is not working" it means one of two things:
The training is not being done correctly, or
It has not been long enough for the training to take hold for the dog.

The important thing is that you need to be sure you are doing it right. for this, go to YouTube and watch as many videos as you possibly can, over and over, on the channel KIKOPUP.

I think we gave you advice on raining the dog not to be in the kitchen before.........did you do as we suggested?
And how has it been going?

Second, give it time. You need to be persistent and to be 100% consistent, and y our parents need to be on board with you and doing the same things you are doing each time.
Are your parents working with you on this?

Also...we are really trying to help you. but if all of your posts are only one sentence or two, not telling us the details we need to know about what is going on, then we cannot help you. We need to know what you have been doing and what the dog is doing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts