Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm here for my boss as shes struggling bless her. She has an 20 month old black cocker spaniel called Ellie. She is well behaved and has been to puppy classes and training.

When she was a puppy she used to eat her pooh, June tried really hard to deterr this and Ellie all of a sudden stopped and has been fine.

About 3 weeks ago June noticed Ellie's breath was bad, shes started to chew on stones (she'll break them with her teeth then put it back and start on another one - it makes me cringe!!) she will HUNT pooh out, cat poo, dog pooh, anything.

She also salivates loads when she goes on a walk. She is never left alone, she is given long long walks and is playful but sometimes a bit rough and i wouldnt say aggressive but rougher with her human mum! (june)

She was told to go on a diet by her vet which has gone really well, she was on royal canin but her vet advised science plan.

Can anybody offer me any advice? I thought maybe she has a deficiency? she will eat soiled tissue from the bin (from blowing your nose). Her eyes are bright her skin and fur is beautiful and she is much loved and pampered. she will also eat mud.

Mainly the poo thing that bothers June as it makes her smell really bad!!

Any help/thoughts/advice would be brilliant Thank you :)

(sorry for huge post!!)

xx

·
Banned
288 Posts
Generally when dogs are starting to eat things not typically on the normal menu such as dirt rocks tissue and what not they are lacking something in their diet. Since she just changed foods to one to help her lose weight (and if your science plan is anything like science diet in the US) then it is not a good food. Hereis a list of the AAFCO nutritional guidelines for proper mineral/nutritional balance.

Dog Food Standards by the AAFCO

from the way you write I gather you are in the UK? IT might be hard for us to recommend a good food for the dog seeing as you prob. have different things there than we do. Vets usually don't make the best nutritional advisors as some can be motivated to push foods that they carry which could be of a lesser nutritional value than what her dog needs.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Can anybody offer me any advice? I thought maybe she has a deficiency? she will eat soiled tissue from the bin (from blowing your nose). Her eyes are bright her skin and fur is beautiful and she is much loved and pampered. she will also eat mud.
There is a disorder called Pica. Not all dogs do this out of a dietary deficiency. I feed high quality foods and have a dog with Pica, it was very pronouced as a puppy, he would consume rocks and sand as fast as he could, amoung other items. He still does occasionally.

Its behavioral. Its alot of supervision and redirection, teaching a solid "leave it" and "give" and keeping the dog full and stimulated...they tend to do it more if they are hungry or bored.

Pica Behaviour in the Adult Dog

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts