Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
before I start, I just want to say that I didn't come here for a lecture on how to raise my dogs and I know I should have spayed her but they WILL go to a good home or they won't go at all. the damage is done leave it be.

my dog is a yorkie -poo ( Yorkshire terrier + poodle) and is bursting at them seams with a pregnant belly. we don't really trust vets and I don't think you would either if you know some of the stuff them put in your dog. her belly has been more distended in the last couple days and fetal movement is less detectable. we have built her an AWESOME whelping box and she slept in the whelping part last night and I slept in the run. I woke up at four this morning and she was kind of restless but nothing to major. when I took her temp. this morning it had dropped down to 98.7. her normal is around 100.0 I skipped a few reading because I was in a rush and I just couldn't do it in time. I'm guessing that her temp. rose at the time I skipped temp. readings. so, tonight? I think so but I'm open to suggestions.:) and again, NO LECTURES.:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,711 Posts
No one on the internet can help you with this. Your dog needs to see a vet before she or her puppies, or both, die. You have no way of knowing how many puppies are in there, so you'll never know if she delivers them all or not. With a small dog like that, the things that can go wrong are legion.

Please, please, please see a vet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,307 Posts
With a small dog I too suggest taking her to the vet. There are many things that can go wrong. Especially with her temp dropping below normal. I say either talk to a vet via phone or go to the vet.

If not, good luck and I hope things go well with you and your pup and her pregnancy. No one here is a certified veterinarian that I know of so we can't give you advice. and I do believe that it's against the forum rules to give medical advice if you aren't certified?

Sorry we can't help. Just talk to the vet and see what he says.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,207 Posts
You seriously need to see a vet. Not only does it sound like you've never whelped a litter before, but this is a small dog. What sort of dog is the father? Do you know? If it's a larger dog and/or you are not sure you MUST take her to the vet. It's possible her pups are too large for her and she will die in childbirth. This is VERY common in small dogs or bitches who mate with larger males. Take her to the vet ASAP. You don't want to let your distrust in vets cost you your dog (and her pups' lives).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,197 Posts
It's not unheard to be wary of vets, but there are some times when you NEED one. If something goes wrong and you do not take her in both mom and pups could very well die when an experienced vet could have helped them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Speaking as someone who has worked as a vet assistant for almost a decade I'm slightly offended at your apparent distain for any vet care. I also aagree with the others that consulting with a vet is going to be the best thing for you, your bitch, and her potential puppies. Even with all the information you provided there are still a lot more things your vet will need to know. What breed is the dad? When did your female ovulate? When was she bred? How often have you bee taking her temp? How old is your girl? What is her behavior like?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,410 Posts
The well being of your little dog & her pups needs to over ride your distrust of vets in this instance I'm afraid! You've obviously had bad veterinarian experiences, but believe me, as @animalcraker says, there are things a vet will know that you can't possibly know. There are many good vets out there, so for the sake of your dog, seek help. You asked for no one here to give you a lecture on the rights or wrongs of what has happened & members have respected that request & the advice is unanimous, give your dog & her pups the best chance, seek help from a vet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
You to take your dog to a real vet.

Also, you need to have about $3500 - $5000 saved up in case your dog needs an emergency C-section at 3 AM because a puppy got stuck trying to come out, the mother's uterus ruptured, or she's exhausted and can't push anymore, or a long list of other possible complications during whelping that can threaten the life of your dog and her puppies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Dogs have been having puppies for generations - this we know.
The thing is though... not all pregnancies end the way it's expected. There is definitely a chance that your girl could have complications, and for that reason, seeing a vet is your best option and the best advice you could possibly receive from strangers on the internet.

I've done clinic work myself, and I would never advise someone on the internet without seeing the animal myself and in person.

With small dogs there is a greater risk of complications. Please, put your feelings aside for the moment, and see a qualified veterinarian.

Sure - there's a chance everything will go smoothly, but there's also a chance it won't and I wouldn't want you to have to experience what it's like when things don't go as planned.. :(

I think everyone here has been really fair in their comments. The best thing for your dog right now would be to see a vet.

Good luck, and please let us know what happens and keep us posted. Ultimately the decision is yours.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top