Dog Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Huskies seem like really nice dogs but I'm concerned about the exercise requirements. Not only that, but the other breeds I'm considering also happen to be high energy breeds. I don't know how they compare to huskies though. Anyway I looked up dryland mushing and came across the dog powered scooter which allows your dog to pull you but requires less training since it does not require voice commands. Here is a link if you need more details: link.

What are your thoughts on this device for a high energy breed? How much time using it do you think would meet the exercise requirements of a high energy breed? Yes I know it depends but what range would you expect? Do you think it would work well with a brittany? That's one of the breeds I'm considering and I know they like to run.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
What are your thoughts on this device for a high energy breed? How much time using it do you think would meet the exercise requirements of a high energy breed? Yes I know it depends but what range would you expect? Do you think it would work well with a brittany? That's one of the breeds I'm considering and I know they like to run.
I got one for my hound. Both my dogs love it. It takes some training like right left stop and go but they learn really fast. I think any high energy dog would enjoy it.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah... I thought it was a bit of a lofty claim to say it doesn't require any training, but it's a lot less intimidating than having them ahead! How long does it take you to tire out your dogs?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
It depends on the dog. My hound could go till he drops. I have to be the judge according to the heat and cold of how long we mush. At least 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Sometimes longer if the weather permits.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Dawnben- Is it a diggler scooter?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I wonder if they went out of business, I was thinking about getting one but by the time I found out about them they had no website. Oh well, I wonder if they closed.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Diggler itself is no longer making scooters but they have or will be soon opening up a new site with a different name. I don't have the bookmark on this computer but I will try to dig it up. They essentially look exactly like Diggler scooters, still, though.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
That's kind of weird that they decided to switch to another name and website. Ill have to look through the link, thanks for posting it Sassafras.
If I remember correctly don't you do some urban mushing as well with your guys?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
@Dawnben and @sassafras, what (if you do) do you use to keep the gang line out of the front scooter tire?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I rigged up a DIY noodle using a length of PVC pipe, it doesn't keep the line up but it keeps it from getting tangled in the wheel. Let me see if I can find a picture of it.

A friend of mine mounted one of the side attachments meant for biking with dogs (like a Walky Dog) on her handlebars and it works great.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Here's a picture of it. That white thing over the tire is just PVC pipe attached to the end of the line with a clip. The dogs generally keep the line tight enough to not worry about it, but the noodle keeps the line from being able to get tangled in the tire if we get some slack.

You can use anything, really. Once when I forgot my regular line, I rigged up two small pop bottles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts