Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I are about at our limit with his dog. It has gotten to the point that if something doesn't change and quickly we will be forced to get rid of the dog. She is a 12lb miniature pincher.

Let me give you some backstory:
When we first started dating he would get home from work about 530 or so and would usually have to clean up at least one accident. He did not keep her crated but rather she was shut in to one of the spare bedrooms. On a daily basis there would either be a pee spot or poop in the room when he got home and she would have tried to claw her way out of the room under the door. Eventually we got sick of having to clean up all the messes and decided to start trying to re-crate train her. This did not go so well . When you would take her out to go to the bathroom she would not go. After putting her back in the crate and taking her out every 15 minutes to try again by about the third or fourth time she would potty in her crate. We also started at the same time trying to retrain other simple commands that she refused to obey such as sit stay and come. She knows all of these commands but still to this day will pick and choose when she wants to listen to them.

The pottying has gotten worse and we do not know how to go on from here. She now has two crates: her original crate which is too large for her for potty training and the second which we call the "cat kennel" that is more "her size". We have put her on a strict three time per day potty schedule. She will go out after breakfast in the morning, they get fed immediately after I get up. She goes out again the first one of us who gets home usually between five and six at night. She goes out one last time before we go to bed between 10 and 1030 at night. She frequently on one or more of these times will tell you that she doesn't have to go either pee or poop. Sometimes she will refuse to pee sometime she will refuse to poop and other times she will refuse to do anything but stand there and look at you like "go F* yourself". When she does not go both pee and poop she now goes in the "cat kennel". When we are gone and she has been good she goes in her regular large crate. If we put her in her large crate when she has not gone both pee and poop she will do so in her crate and we will come home to a dog covered in poop and pee. At night if she has been good and done all of her business she is allowed to sleep out of her crate. Unfortunately we are finding that she is still getting up in the middle of the night and peeing in the house. Mind you this dog can choose to hold her urine for 12 or more hours on the days that she's refusing to go. She very rarely will give any sign that she needs to go out to go potty. If we put her out by herself, she will not go. She's been outside for hours, and then come in and had an "accident". She also cannot go out without being on a tether, or she will climb out chain link fence. If you take her out on a leash she will not go. Except, if you are on a trip, or visiting somewhere, and then she's got perfect behavior, potties without a struggle, on the leash.

She came from a rescue, who got her out of a animal shelter, so we have no background on her. She is allergic to near everything, and she must be padlocked into her crate while we are gone, or else she can open it, and will be destructive in the house.

This weekend was a bad weekend. Last night was the worst we've had. Yesterday was Sunday. We got up, fed her, and she potties like normal. We were home until later in the morning with her. We out her in her large crate, and came home 6 hours later to a dog covered in piss. She promptly got put out to potty, came in and got a bath, and left outside while we cleaned up the mess, and let her dry. We let her stay out for a couple of hours, as it was a nice evening. She then came in for dinner. She eats in her big crate, but has to be shut in, or will go steal our other dogs food. My husband was very frustrated with her, since I had spent two days on my hands and knees scrubbing the carpets. He decided to leave her in her crate after dinner, and we fell asleep on the couch. We woke up about an hour and a half later to a urine soaked dog.

This is all made even more frustrating by the fact that we have another dog, who is just over a year, who we have bell trained, is off leash most of the time, and never has an accident in the house.

We have tried everything, and so far, she will only be "good" for a week or two, and then reverts back to her original behavior.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Well, you met the minpin, king of toys for a reason, tenacious little buggers, smart little dogs. Hands down my favorite small breed. This isn't typical behavior for a pin.

How much time is this dog likely to spend in a crate per day? And how much exercise does the dog get every day? Walks or runs?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I empathize with you, you must be at your wit's end.
I'd start with a trip to the vet, because dogs ordinarily don't pee in their crate. No amount of training will help if she has a medical issue. In addition, if she doesn't feel good, that can affect her behavior.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She's been to the vet regularly for her yearly physicals and each time has been given a clean bill of health.

Unfortunately she's is crated most of the day when we're at work. Normally she gets let out as soon as one of gets home, usually about 6. When she's out she plays with our other dog, or is, but really most of the time would rather stay snuggled up against my husband on the couch or sleeping in a blanket. Lately, she's been crated quite a lot because she's been peeing and popping around the house.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I recently had a change in jobs, and haven't been able to take her on runs, and that will be changing in October, but honestly the behavior was still there when I was running her.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should also add... She's been known to "fake" going to the bathroom, squatting and faking both pee and poop, and then come in and later have an "accident".

Just this morning, when she was peeing, she literally had poop start to come out, and when she stood up, she sucked it back in and refused to go poop.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Has the dog ever really been housebroken? They can't be classified as the easiest dogs to housebreak - stubborn, aloof, clever, there's a whole list of personality descriptions. Alot of these dogs are backyard bred, can change the game when it comes to temperament and personality.

I've personally found that frustration and other negatives work in reverse with these dogs - they tend to feed off how the owner is feeing at the moment. Took me a year to train the gf to stop reacting and relax around the dog - had so many positive effects when that happened. When he was off leash, she would yell at him, try to control his actions - it turned him into an arsehole every time.

It sounds like she's got a combination of confusion and not ever being fully housebroken. She needs exercise -- but most importantly, she needs mental stimulation. I took the pin hunting for at least a few hours a week, mice/gophers etc - but at least find a good analog for that. They are vermin hunters.

If you feel you haven't got the time to take the dog for a run, then I don't know how you're going to find the time to correct this. If you can get her back on the right path, the rewards are endless - they are amazing little dogs.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Has the dog ever really been housebroken?.
Great point. Take the time to housebreak, and I think life will be easier. I know, easier said than done.
She may be holding it because of a reaction she received at some previous time in her life that makes her afraid to potty before y'all got her from the shelter rescue.
I wonder if there are boarding schools for dogs, where you could send her to get basic obedience and housebreaking done, if time right now is an issue?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Back when I was running with her, we tried to re house train her. With no success. The only thing that seemed to make the biggest difference was when when we put her on the strict potty schedule, but still there are days where she won't go. She has no problem "going" in front of us, when she decides to. Like I said, we can go weeks without a problem, and then suddenly it's like a switch flips and she'll refuse to go. This morning, poop literally feel out while she was peeing, yet I still had to coax her to go poop, because she tried to tell me she didn't have to. It's almost like she doesn't know she has to go until it's coming out...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.