Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post, seeking advice for my dog.
He’s been dealing with this problem with his skin for a while and we’re not sure what it is.
The skin on his lower back is severely irritated, it looks cracked and often bleeds. It looks pretty much like a scab covering half of his back, and he is constantly begging to be scratched because he can’t reach it. The skin around his inner thigh area is also bright red. He also produces this strange odor and at times it’s very strong, and can stink up whichever room he’s staying in, and I think it’s due to whatever is happening on his back.
He seems miserable because he literally can’t go more than 20 seconds without scratching aggressively. His life is taken over by a constant need to scratch and I feel terrible. The smell makes it even worse.
Any ideas what the problem could be and what some possible solutions are?

·
Registered
306 Posts
That sounds like something you want to get diagnosed by your vet! That the smell is so strong that it smells up a room makes me quite worried! Your dog needs to get the proper treatment to feel better asap, before severe infection or even sepsis can set in!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your vet is your first stop. It could be parasites, a fungal or bacterial infection, or an allergy to food, shampoo, etc. The vet will be able to take a skin scraping to hopefully diagnose the problem and prescribe a shampoo or cream that will help with the itching.

I was a foster mom for a Shih Tzu mix that was diagnosed with food allergies. By going to a no corn, no chicken, no beef, no soy, no wheat dog food, AND giving him a daily bath with a special shampoo, he stopped that frantic itching in about a week and was starting to grow his hair back after a couple of weeks. The plan was to get him better, then start reintroducing different foods (tiny amounts) back into his diet to find the real culprit(s). He was adopted before we could get to that point.

A dog that I owned had a fungal infection. There was a cream for the hot spots between his toes and on his belly. He also had to wear the cone of shame for about a week, but everything cleared up nicely.

Good luck. I know it's hard to see your dog so unhappy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Laurel's allergies still have not been diagnosed, but she had a secondary bacterial infection. It would not have cleared up without antibiotics.

There are many things that could be causing that, but you may need to take him in more than once.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts