Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I will try to do a thorough fast preface. We adopted our little Chi/poodle/terrier? about 2 years ago. She was about 2 years old. She has never been active at all. No running and playing, no chasing a ball nothing. She has always just laid around on her bed pretty much. Fast forward to may of this year. We are a military family and PCSed ( moved). In our move we stayed with my mother-in-law. After being there a week or so I noticed her little dogs scratching all the time. She says casually, I think they picked up mites from the groomer. I inform her mites are mange. I treat all dogs for mange. Her dogs are now fine, my little dog is awful! Due to an allergic response her skin turned black. It's now returning to pink. She has licked herself raw. She has always been an avid licker. She is now in a cone collar. At first I though it was the sores causing pain. She seems to not want to put any pressure on any paw. She will rotate picking up paws while standing. I thought she had enlarged sores around her legs. but her joints are inflamed it seems, because when I mashed around it was definitely joints/bone. I thought someone may have some sort of input as to what may be the issue. The vet treated her with revolution( we did 3 rounds). She not scratching anymore but from her elbows down is just awful. Her skin scrapings were negative, and Monday I will take her for blood work. Am I overthinking this? Do her joints look inflamed to anyone else? They are closeup pics. She also has antibiotic ointment on along with Zymox enzymatic rinse (for fungus/bacteria. Sorry this is so long. I'm just looking for others who may have more knowledge than myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
813 Posts
Poor dog. I don't think her legs look normal, I hope your vet can do something to help her. Maybe she'd never been very active because she's always been in discomfort?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, honestly that's what I am starting to think. Every now and then she will baby a back leg, sort of hop, and we thought maybe it was a knee issue. The vet ruled that out. I'm thinking now, it has been her paws all along.... But the vet never mentioned her paws when we were there having her checked. I just happen to notice because I have been diligent trying to fix whatever skin issues from the mange she has... I just hate to see her in pain doing her little paw rotation dance. :(

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Has the vet mentioned any sort of pain medication? We tried rimadyl with our dog and saw little results, but then the vet suggested aspirin and it really helps her with stiffness and the ability to move.

Obviously, don't give her anything without vet approval, but do ask about it. You could probably even just phone in.

Her feet do look sore. The hopping and the licking are classic signs of pain (my dog licks her paws/legs a lot).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm wondering if its like a doggy RA and her immune system is already down. With the mange, maybe it just sent her little doggy immune system into overdrive or something... But I will definitely be getting with the Vet this week in light of what I have found. I'm familiar with Rimadyl. It's in the ibuprofen family... NSAID. For a while she was refusing to eat with this explosion, and lost 4 lbs from 14 to 10. I have her eating again but a can dog food, as she will not eat the dry. I figured whatever to get her to eat. lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts