Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He sleeps under the covers at my feet and I awake to find 1 to 2 marble-sized poops in the morning. The vet suggested more fiber (a little pumpkin) but it made no difference. It started over a year ago. It doesn't happen every night but it seems to be happening more and more often--every couple of days.

8-year old mixed terrier, rescue with me for 3 years. We walk 30 min. in the morning, 15 after work and 5 before bed. He always goes in the morning and usually after work. There is no correlation between going after work and pooping at night. I feed him just under a 1/2 cup of premium dry twice a day after morning and after-work walks.

I have never caught him in the act. I thought he was going in his sleep, but now I am not sure because every once in a while I see that he has left the bed and gone on the carpet by the bed. I live in a NYC studio apt. so I can't put him in another room. I fear he now believes that the bed/carpet is an acceptable place to go.

This is my first dog and he came house-trained so I don't know anything about training. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
What time is the pm feeding? How about trying to feed his pm meal earlier?

It could also be age like DaneMom mentioned. I have a client that has an older yorkie that was doing almost the same thing. I suggested she stimulate his sphincter muscles to strengthen them so he could hold it in better. You can do this by acting like you are going to take his temp with a thermometer. Just touch it to his booty to cause him to flex it. It is just like any other muscle. It can be restrengthened...:)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
What time is the pm feeding? How about trying to feed his pm meal earlier?

It could also be age like DaneMom mentioned. I have a client that has an older yorkie that was doing almost the same thing. I suggested she stimulate his sphincter muscles to strengthen them so he could hold it in better. You can do this by acting like you are going to take his temp with a thermometer. Just touch it to his booty to cause him to flex it. It is just like any other muscle. It can be restrengthened...:)
not always. if its a neurological breakdown then no. and this is common in old age.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.