Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I just registered because I am at my wits end! I have a 7 year old, female miniature pinscher. Within the past six months she has started having accidents in her sleep. Regardless of if we've taken her out, every so often she'll poop in her sleep. Its not an every day thing, but its happened almost a dozen times.

She is completely asleep when it happens and doesn't even usually wake up. Unfortunately, we discovered this because she often sleeps on the couch with us while we watch tv or is sleeping in our bed. The stool is completely normal and firm..it just pops out! I'm really concerned. She's been to the vet, and they did some fecal and blood work that came back normal. The vet really isn't sure what's causing it! She's only 7 years old, which for a min pin is only about mid-life, so I don't think its an old age problem...

Other miscellaneous information...she is on Blue Buffalo dog food, gets walked regularly... in fact it happened about 2 hours after her walk tonight. :(
Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Have you talked to the vet about this? This is not normal behavior (obviously) but when a previously trained dog goes backward it could be medical problems...and if she's sleeping obviously she's not doing it for behavioral issues.

ETA: talk to another vet if they don't pursue finding an answer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Yes I've talked to the vet. As I mentioned, they've done some blood and fecal but that's it so far.

I called again today and he suggested we try a medication that is typically used for urinary incontinence, but could possibly help here as well. I asked him about the possibility of trying acupuncture to strengthen her muscles, and am waiting for a call back from their other vet at the office who offers alternative treatments such as acupuncture.

I don't like the idea of medicating her without knowing the underlying issue. :(

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Well I don't mean to scare you but my dog started peeing himself all the time around 8 years old. It was a regular Mystery Diagonisis episode. 2 years later the mystery was solved and it was cancer. Don't let them give you a "well she seems happy...as long as you don't mind the cleanup" business. Not saying your dog has cancer but saying be relentless for an answer. Has the dog had any major stress lately? Maybe google "dog encopresis"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely continue to be persistent. Any recommendations as to what tests I should request?
As far as stress, she is naturally a very high-stress dog. She suffers from some separation anxiety, though it has gotten a little better as she's gotten older. Specifically, she's very destructive when left alone. Other than that, she's a typical yappy, stressed little dog when people are at our house.

That said, there haven't been any major stressors which seem to coincide with this problem. Its been happening for about 6 months and there haven't been any long term stress problems that I'm aware of. And as long as we're home and there are no guests, she's as relaxed as can be (obviously, since she's asleep)

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
it could be just age. sometimes when dog age the neuro-transmitters in the brain that tell the dog they have to go dont work properly, and they can go without knowing.

it could also be a back issue.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
^^ That. My opinion would be that she's having problems with the nerves that contract the sphincter (hence why he wants to try the med usually used for urinary incontinence).

·
Registered
1 Posts
7yr old min pin poops in sle

My 7year old min pin has just started pooping in his sleep too. He is also on blue buffalo food. It's an accident and he immediately tries to clean it up. It's only a small bit and watery. :(. Plz help. Oh and all tests came back normal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize it's a year later, but I wanted to share that the same thing happened to my male miniature pinscher around that age. He didn't have to undergo any tests; no x-rays, meds, nothing. The doctor said his anal glands were impacted. He expressed them and after that our little boy would get walked as often as possible b/c the more he poops, the better the chances of his anal glands expressing themselves. In time, the problem completely stopped.

Now, at 14, we might have a recurrence on our hands. I noticed a rock on the bed the other day. I thought, "Poop. No, it's too hard; it's a rock." I dismissed it and today found another little hard, volcanic looking rock on the sofa where he sleeps. It doesn't smell and look like normal poop. It's rock-hard. I threw it out, but I'm starting to think I should fish it out of the garbage and show the vet. At 14, this time it probably is spinal degeneration :( Min Pins tend to live into their twenties and I hope if he does, my boy is happy & healthy until the end.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 4 yr. old female schnauzer that is having the exact same problem except that it wakes her up and she appears surprised. She is no way doing it on purpose. My vet has not done any tests yet but suggested that she might be constipated and to try giving her canned pumpkin(because it is high in fiber). I give her 2 heaping spoonfuls a day and the poop balls went from rock hard with a whitish color on some to a shinier ball and then for the past 3 days no poop balls. This is almost 2 cans of pumpkin later. I registered to this site through a google search for dog pooping in sleep because I was looking for answers wondering if I should be concerned and it brought me to this post. As for now, the Schnauzer Bunny is not leaving any eggs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize it's a year later, but I wanted to share that the same thing happened to my male miniature pinscher around that age. He didn't have to undergo any tests; no x-rays, meds, nothing. The doctor said his anal glands were impacted. He expressed them and after that our little boy would get walked as often as possible b/c the more he poops, the better the chances of his anal glands expressing themselves. In time, the problem completely stopped.

Now, at 14, we might have a recurrence on our hands. I noticed a rock on the bed the other day. I thought, "Poop. No, it's too hard; it's a rock." I dismissed it and today found another little hard, volcanic looking rock on the sofa where he sleeps. It doesn't smell and look like normal poop. It's rock-hard. I threw it out, but I'm starting to think I should fish it out of the garbage and show the vet. At 14, this time it probably is spinal degeneration :( Min Pins tend to live into their twenties and I hope if he does, my boy is happy & healthy until the end.
My boy (min pin 14) just started doing this this past week. I am so sad I hope nothing is majorly wrong with him.

I realized day 3 he was asleep when it’s happening.

·
Super Moderator
667 Posts
My boy (min pin 14) just started doing this this past week. I am so sad I hope nothing is majorly wrong with him.

I realized day 3 he was asleep when it’s happening.
This is a very old thread, please take your dog to a vet. There are medications that can help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts