Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so my 6 year old chihuahua has been to the vet several times already over this issue and nothing seems to be working.
Ever since she got spayed back in February she’s been having this issue. Her poop comes out firm but that last bit of it is usually lighter in color and really mushy. The first time it happened was after she got spayed and eventually her poop came out looking like mustard and we had to switch her to new kibble. A few weeks after this her poops started getting softer and harder to pick up. We switched her to new food again, switched to a new vet and started her on probiotics. This seemed to help a lot! We went an entire month without having any stool problems. Now it’s happening again. I guess since she’s on probiotics her stool starts coming out firm and the other half is really mushy. It’s so weird. And throughout the day they seem to get softer and lighter in color. I just don’t understand. We’re getting ready to switch her food again, one with a completely different protein and hopefully this will help. We have been giving her pumpkin, it really does help firm things up. She’s had several xrays, bloodwork and fecal tests done. Everything is fine according to our vets. Her other symptoms are licking her paws a lot, itchy ears, and burping. She’s really energetic and acts pretty normal. One of our vets suspect an allergy to chicken has developed. We went from feeding her Nutro Essentials to Merrick Healthy Grains and are in the process of switching her to Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin and Stomach. Sometimes her poop looks like it’s full of grains too. I just don’t understand how her poop can be firm and runny at the same time.

We had to switch her to a new vet because the first one misdiagnosed her for having Pyometra. They called me during her surgery to tell me she didn’t have it and never gave me antibiotics for her. They also told me she didn’t have a fever when she did and told me she was just nervous. During her recovery period we found a new vet to take over. She did a wonderful job. occasionally when this one isn’t available we go to another vet, and also to get a second opinion. Since that misdiagnosis we have to be more careful. Turns out she actually had a problem in her spine.

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
Is it possible you are feeding too much? That is a common cause of poo like you describe. How is her weight and body condition?

The guides on dog food are often on the generous side.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If she is itching it could be a grain, chicken, or beef allergy as these are one of the few common allergies in dogs. I would switch to a limited ingredient food. Also, purina doesn’t have many great ingredients for dogs to digest like corn and by-products. I would stay and the previous food. Have you tried switching to another probiotic? I use goats milk for my dogs probiotic and I find it to be the best. I give it to my dogs when it goes on sale near me. Or if I get a coupon. I use both primal and bone broth. When did the itching start?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it possible you are feeding too much? That is a common cause of poo like you describe. How is her weight and body condition?

The guides on dog food are often on the generous side.
She gets about 1/2 cup a day. We feed her twice so she gets 1/4 in the morning and again at night. I have tried feeding her less but I haven’t notice a change. She’s 7.3lbs, that’s a pretty average weight for her around this time of the year. It’s too hot and humid to walk her outside, we do our best to keep her active indoors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If she is itching it could be a grain, chicken, or beef allergy as these are one of the few common allergies in dogs. I would switch to a limited ingredient food. Also, purina doesn’t have many great ingredients for dogs to digest like corn and by-products. I would stay and the previous food. Have you tried switching to another probiotic? I use goats milk for my dogs probiotic and I find it to be the best. I give it to my dogs when it goes on sale near me. Or if I get a coupon. I use both primal and bone broth. When did the itching start?
Well she started around October last year but our first vet was convinced that she was just extremely anxious. Nutro Essentials had chicken and sweet potatoes as their main ingredients, Merrick healthy grains had Chicken as a main ingredient too. The new food we have started giving her has limited ingredients and salmon as the main protein.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank u! How old is she? To me the poop just looks like regular puppy poop, It looks like my puppies poop. I would just have her checked by a vet.
She’s 6 years old. And I have taken her to the vet multiple times. They have given me probiotics but doesn’t seem to help much after being on it for a while. They also suggested switching her food again.

·
Registered
390 Posts
She’s 6 years old. And I have taken her to the vet multiple times. They have given me probiotics but doesn’t seem to help much after being on it for a while. They also suggested switching her food again.
Ok, could I get a picture to get an idea of her size?! Did the vet say it was anything serious?
I always heard that switching them to new food can cause them to have diarrhea..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts