Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My almost 4 month puppy Trout(lab collie mix) often has a regular poop followed by a bunch of soft little poops after ): which makes it hard to pick up obviously..After the main solid pooh he continues to walk around pushing out little soft gross poops(ha sorry for the description!)
He's healthy and up to date with worm and vaccines. No loss of appetite he just always has this type of turd! I'm thinking it could be the food?
We are giving him Acana puppy and junior formula dry food. I am wondering if a dry food with less ingredients might help? Seems like Acana has a ton of ingredients and i wonder if this is causing digestive upset or he is not fully digesting it. He seems to have a lot of poop as well, also maybe indicating not digesting fully.. Any rec dry foods?

A friend also mentioned a teaspoon or so of can pumpkin(not the pie filling) with his meals to help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Different foods work for different dogs, so you could just try a few formulas. I don't know that there's any consensus on this because the dogs are all different, though the pumpkin thing seems to be reliable.

Other thing is - dog's not eating right before walk, right? This same thing happens to my dog if he eats right before his walk, but if he's a few hours from his meal, he just does one normal, ah, business.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Try feeding less. Usually Tessa get's the same thing when I over feed her on kibble.

The canned pumpkin also works, but only give about 1 tsp as any more can create the opposite effect.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try feeding less. Usually Tessa get's the same thing when I over feed her on kibble.

The canned pumpkin also works, but only give about 1 tsp as any more can create the opposite effect.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Okay we will try a little bit less. We try not to walk him when he has just had food. Tried the pumpkin, see how it works over a few days. Otherwise I think we will slowly try a new food mixed with his old and see what happens.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going to start mixing in a different brand of food for him and see if that helps. It has less ingredients so hopefully that will work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Poo update. Switched him to Go limited ingredient venison kibble food and no more gross poops. Seems like the smell is half as bad too. It's expensive food but we feed him less of it. Seems to love the taste too. So it's worth a shot if you are having a similar problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 7 of 7 Posts