Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I believe my neighbor poisoned my dog on Easter Sunday. Coincidentally, 3 days later she was ok. But, let's not have a discussion about divine intervention.

Anyway, she had a little diarrhea and acted very strange, became very needy and kinda forgot that my dad was her favorite person and loved everybody equally for once. She even forgot how to pee correctly, squatted kinda funny, and went in the house a couple times which NEVER happened before.

I'm attaching a photo because this poison looks like it wasn't homemade, even though that sounds strange because I can't imagine how someone can get away with manufacturing poison that smells like a dog treat.

I appreciate any useful responses, advice, etc. We just spent $500 on a camera security system. We posted in the community Facebook page and a lot of neighbors are outraged, but we can't tell them who did it without proof.

I've contacted animal control and will send them the attached photo with a witness statement.

I think chemical testing would be too expensive, but if anyone knows otherwise, let me know.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
It looks like candy... Is it easter candy or does it just look like that in the pic. Did you take her to the vet? If so, what did the vet say? If it was a kind of food, it could have been a marijuana edible. That would make her act strange but be fine later. Glad your pup is okay!

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
It looks like a chocolate covered marshmallow to me...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
It honestly just looks like candy to me. And if your dog ingested chocolate, then that would explain the illness.

If you haven't done so already, follow up with your vet to ensure your dog has no lasting effects.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like candy... Is it easter candy or does it just look like that in the pic. Did you take her to the vet? If so, what did the vet say? If it was a kind of food, it could have been a marijuana edible. That would make her act strange but be fine later. Glad your pup is okay!
It smells like a dog treat though, and there were two in the yard, far from each other. The yard is fenced off so someone would have to through them quite a distance to get one under the deck.

Also, there are very very few people living here, so the only people that walk by are the neighbors walking dogs and the neighbor who lives across the street who most likely poisoned our dog.

Who would throw away marijuana treats? And a 3 day high is kinda long.
Vet did blood tests, everything came back normal.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Weird. I don't know, would taking it to the police be of any help? Maybe they have seen something similar?
As far as getting it under the deck, a squirrel may have done the work. I find odd stuff all the time in my mom's backyard. I used to think the neighbor were terrible, but it's actually just animals taking things out of the garbage.
Is the white part powder, solid, gummy, ect?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Weird. I don't know, would taking it to the police be of any help? Maybe they have seen something similar?
As far as getting it under the deck, a squirrel may have done the work. I find odd stuff all the time in my mom's backyard. I used to think the neighbor were terrible, but it's actually just animals taking things out of the garbage.
Is the white part powder, solid, gummy, ect?
Squirrel!!! There's an idea. I haven't seen any around here, but we are in the mountains. I'll keep that idea in mind. It is a possible explanation, but I'm doubtful.

The white stuff can be scraped off and becomes a powder. It appears to be the same makeup as any pill. An internet search shows most dogs can be poisoned by common meds, otc and otherwise, so I suspect something like that is a candidate.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Makes me wonder if someone was trying to medicate their dog and failed--you know, dog cheeks it and takes it outside. Squirrel steals it and then it's at your house!

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Makes me wonder if someone was trying to medicate their dog and failed--you know, dog cheeks it and takes it outside. Squirrel steals it and then it's at your house!
That's exactly what it looks like. I've known dogs who would do that, too.

Any medication dosed for a 100lb dog would be disastrous in a much smaller dog, and lots of medications are very dangerous if the patient doesn't need them.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The squirrel thing is a little hard to believe because when squirrels find something they are interesting in they will hide it. You should see if you could get someone to test the white stuff..

I hope it wasn't your neighbor who put it there. It would take a low person to poison someone else's dog.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's exactly what it looks like. I've known dogs who would do that, too.

Any medication dosed for a 100lb dog would be disastrous in a much smaller dog, and lots of medications are very dangerous if the patient doesn't need them.
Brilliant, thank you. I'll google images of dog meds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Chocolate is to dogs as caffeine is to people. Can caffeine kill people? I suppose it can but you'd have to eat an awful lot of it. Your dog didn't get poisoned by a little piece of chocolate. I doubt he even caught a buzz.

As for that white stuff on the inside, you can tell a lot just by making some observations. Many poisons are bitter. If that white stuff is sweet, I'd say you have, what a scientist might call, "a piece of candy".

·
Registered
368 Posts
not enough chocolate in that one candy to cause a toxicity in any dog.. .but several other possibilities: 1) macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs, causing a unique lethargy and trembling seen in no other animals… thankfully not a fatal one and all dogs eventually recover 2) some candies have xylitol in them, which can cause a severe hypoglycemia (very low blood sugar- would certainly cause a dog to become weak and odd-acting) and/or some liver problems (usually would need a lot more than one piece of candy, though for that problem) in dogs 3) I live in an area where there are LOTS of marijuana clinics, and I am constantly amazed how many different products they sell containing THC… dogs are extremely sensitive to this drug and often act wobbly, lethargic, hypersensitive and pee in the house… thankfully, most recover oK in 24 hours (unless a massive overdose occurs).

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
Squirrel!!! There's an idea. I haven't seen any around here, but we are in the mountains. I'll keep that idea in mind. It is a possible explanation, but I'm doubtful.

The white stuff can be scraped off and becomes a powder. It appears to be the same makeup as any pill. An internet search shows most dogs can be poisoned by common meds, otc and otherwise, so I suspect something like that is a candidate.

The thing in your picture kind of looks like my dogs pill pockets. It looks like the person put one of whatever it is in one, then put some more of the white stuff around it and molded another couple around it.

What the white stuff is I'm not sure. I'd try scarping the brown stuff off and see if you can find any identifying marks on the white stuff.

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
Chocolate is to dogs as caffeine is to people. Can caffeine kill people? I suppose it can but you'd have to eat an awful lot of it. Your dog didn't get poisoned by a little piece of chocolate. I doubt he even caught a buzz.

As for that white stuff on the inside, you can tell a lot just by making some observations. Many poisons are bitter. If that white stuff is sweet, I'd say you have, what a scientist might call, "a piece of candy".
No, chocolate isn't to dogs as caffeine is to people.

Chocolate is toxic to dogs. The type of chocolate, and the size of the dog, is what makes a difference. Milk chocolate is unlikely to cause any real problems, but bakers chocolate will cause problems.

Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs | VCA Animal Hospitals

1 - 15 of 15 Posts