Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had my new puppy Fizz for 2 weeks now. He is progressing nicely in his training and listening to commands. He is a 10 week old duck toller.

He gets along good with my cat and likes to play with the cat. I find he is alittle rough with the cat and likes to bite to the point where the cat kinda whines and runs away. The cat also likes to instigae with the dog, so its a 2 way street with them. I have been trying to prevent this behavior with both animals, but no matter how much I scold each animal they just keep repeating. I am wondering if I should just let them play together and let them get used to it and find there bounderies. I am afraid the dog might hurt the cat.

Thanx
Tim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tim,

For the most part it is very natural and normal for a cat and a dog to play. However, it can be frustrating when they don't stop when you want them too. This is where leadership on your part takes place. You have to let your dog know that you are the pack leader, and when you say stop chasing the cat, thats what you mean. Sometimes, it takes professional dog training to learn how to establish leadership. The more you establish leadership with your dog, the better dog and relationship with your dog you will have.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
So I have had my new puppy Fizz for 2 weeks now. He is progressing nicely in his training and listening to commands. He is a 10 week old duck toller.

He gets along good with my cat and likes to play with the cat. I find he is alittle rough with the cat and likes to bite to the point where the cat kinda whines and runs away. The cat also likes to instigae with the dog, so its a 2 way street with them. I have been trying to prevent this behavior with both animals, but no matter how much I scold each animal they just keep repeating. I am wondering if I should just let them play together and let them get used to it and find there bounderies. I am afraid the dog might hurt the cat.

Thanx
Tim
Within reason the dogs and cat will discover each others boundries. Make sure the cat has access to a room the dog can't get to (baby gate) or a tall cat tree.

Your dog is just being a dog, so don't scold him. Scolding ruins your bond with the dog and ussually the dog doesn't understand the context.

Think of what you'd rather he do instead and start teaching that behavior using positive reinforcement (if you'd like more info just ask). Once the behavior is strong ask for the behavior around the cat and reward profusely when he listens.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Tim,

For the most part it is very natural and normal for a cat and a dog to play. However, it can be frustrating when they don't stop when you want them too. This is where leadership on your part takes place. You have to let your dog know that you are the pack leader, and when you say stop chasing the cat, thats what you mean. Sometimes, it takes professional dog training to learn how to establish leadership. The more you establish leadership with your dog, the better dog and relationship with your dog you will have.

Do you mind defining leadership?
What do you do training wise to "establish" it?

How is this a "leadership" problem and not just a puppy being normal?

Feel free to be as detailed as you can, I will understand all the terminology

Crios.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I agree to let them play it out. I have 4 dogs (one is about 4-5 months) and 2 cats. the puppy and the cats play and one of the cats gets very annoyed with the puppy. we just keep a close eye to make sure its not getting to a fighting point...and i mean fighting not playing. if its innocent fun let it be or even get a toy to get the pups attention when you feel they need to separate. GL :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I let them have at it yesturday with supervised playtime in the basement. It was actually very funny to watch. I have never seen a cat chase a dog around! lol The cat was into it just as much as the dog. When I felt Fizz was getting a little rough with the cat I would call him off and he would responde. Oncein a while the cat would cry out and just run away, then come back for more. I think these two will be just fine, just need to find there boundries with eachother.

Thanx for the input.
Tim

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup we got him from the local SPCA here in Edmonton. They said he was a shepard mix, but aparently they call lots of dogs by that breed. I few people suggested Toller, and the Vet was able to confirm he is a Toller mix. With what though we dont know. I have done some research on the NS Duck Toller, and am very happy with his breed. He seems very smart and is learning quickly. Anywyas thanks all for the input.

Tim

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is Jeff the owner of Superior Dog Training, I have 20 yrs of training dogs and behavior solving, my advise would be to let the puppy and the cat work it out under supervision! By showing leadership, the puppy will learn how far to take his or her play with the cat. Let your puppy know what is acceptable and what is not! This should be administered with a leash and a clear line of communication. Leadership would be defined as educating and reinforcing many correct or incorrect behaviors through positive and negative reinforcement consistently over a short and long periods of time.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
This is Jeff the owner of Superior Dog Training, I have 20 yrs of training dogs and behavior solving, my advise would be to let the puppy and the cat work it out under supervision! By showing leadership, the puppy will learn how far to take his or her play with the cat. Let your puppy know what is acceptable and what is not! This should be administered with a leash and a clear line of communication. Leadership would be defined as educating and reinforcing many correct or incorrect behaviors through positive and negative reinforcement consistently over a short and long periods of time.

Nice vague answer. But I get it.

Your suggesting the puppy drag a loose line so the dog can have leash corrections? Am I correct?

Ok So I understand your definition of leadership now, but once again you are being vague. Leadership mean 1000000 things to 100000 people, so simply saying "be a leader" is useless to the consumer unless you EXPLAIN.

Ok, so you've explained, but yet havent, whats PR to you? treats? Praise? life rewards?

What NR is it verbal? Physical? Leash corrections? E collars? What ? what? what?

Why would you advise corrections over the internet where you have no one there to supervise and instruct on the level and timing of corrections? Which is vital.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am not suggesting anything online, I educate my clients, in person, and never suggest to a dog owner how to train their dog through blogging. I do believe I was responding with a quick note to a puppy owner, that's why I suggested professional dog training in my first reply.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am signing my dog up for puppy training that will start in a couple of weeks here. looking forward to learning more. Just curious what form of disipline would be recomened as far as a physical disipline. I curently push the dog down on its side and repeat NO a few times. I heard that displays dominance and that I am in control type of thing. Any suggestions on this would be good.

Tim

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I am signing my dog up for puppy training that will start in a couple of weeks here. looking forward to learning more. Just curious what form of disipline would be recomened as far as a physical disipline. I curently push the dog down on its side and repeat NO a few times. I heard that displays dominance and that I am in control type of thing. Any suggestions on this would be good.

Tim
I would not try to "dominate" your puppy. You are the human, you are already in control. YOu control when doors open, and when food is set down, you can walk away from your dog and end play, in time he'll learn this, all without physical corrections.

If hes doing som'thing you don't like redirect him to som'thing you DO like.

Acting "dominate" is only going to frighten your dog, he doesn't understand what your doing.

Dominance theory is old and flawed , in fact a lot of trainers dismiss it completely. www.nonlineardogs.com is a great site that explains in more detail.

Even if you do decide to follow the theory 99% of dogs are follower types so not dominance needed. Just control the resources (food, going outside, play) and don't give them out without apropriate behavior. :)

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Enrolling in puppy class is the best thing you can do to learn basic training skills, become even closer to your dog, and properly socialize your dog. Training has worked very well on all of my dogs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts