Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Java will be two in Jan, so she's around 21 months if i did the math correctly.
we believe she is a jack russell mix and we bring her to the dog park very often.
She plays with this other foxhound mix and a husky and most other dogs fine, like they all play rough with her.
But sometimes she picks on the puppies, and eventually it ends up with the puppy yelping in pain[?] or something.. she doesn't draw blood but i know her bite must've hurt..
she tends to play bite at home too, and other dogs; but if she's really mad/feels cornered/etc she'll curl her lips and we know she's mad.
she playbites other dogs' legs and ears mostly. she's only oh so big and tall.
it just happened today too, she didn't take much interest in this german shepherd mix puppy and it was playing with another golden puppy.
but later, she started playing with the shepherd pup who is four months and i don't know, all of a sudden, there was a lot of growling and such.. she really only gets like that if there's like too much energy.. but the other dog was hiding under the bench while java came back and forth and the pup seemed to be giving a 'german shepherd growl' kinda sound.
i wanna break her from this habit, but she learned a lot from the park, especially from the foxhound who plays exactly like that.
anyone have any advice?
i feel like the other people [they're not regulars, idk] dislike it and i get it, if it happened to java i would get annoyed a bit but it would really never cuz she's a tough girl but i don't want this to keep happening. :c

·
Registered
255 Posts
But sometimes she picks on the puppies, and eventually it ends up with the puppy yelping in pain[?] or something.. she doesn't draw blood but i know her bite must've hurt..
Are you absolutely, positively 100% sure that she bit the puppy? Could she have just played a little too rough and flipped the puppy or stepped on the puppy or something and the pup just got scared? My female (Zeva) loves to play rough too, she LOVES the company of 3 certain dogs we know: a female Pit Bull, a male German Shepherd and a male Golden Retriever. They play rought with mouths, paws, etc.. and they love it, and it is always play no aggression. Once, while Zeva was playing with the pitbull a pup came to play too and while their energy play was high when the pup got in she accidentally stepped on the pup which yelped and left but that made them stop the game and play with more caution which all 3 enjoyed.

if she's really mad/feels cornered/etc she'll curl her lips and we know she's mad.
Do you do anything about that to correct her bad behavior of showing teeth to you or do you back off? Showing teeth to the owner is not a good behavior for ANY reason (either it be a bone you want to get back, or a toy, or anything)

she playbites other dogs' legs and ears mostly. she's only oh so big and tall. it just happened today too, she didn't take much interest in this german shepherd mix puppy and it was playing with another golden puppy.
but later, she started playing with the shepherd pup who is four months and i don't know, all of a sudden, there was a lot of growling and such.. she really only gets like that if there's like too much energy.. but the other dog was hiding under the bench while java came back and forth and the pup seemed to be giving a 'german shepherd growl' kinda sound.
i wanna break her from this habit, but she learned a lot from the park, especially from the foxhound who plays exactly like that.
anyone have any advice?
i feel like the other people [they're not regulars, idk] dislike it and i get it, if it happened to java i would get annoyed a bit but it would really never cuz she's a tough girl but i don't want this to keep happening. :c
I don't see much of a problem so far. I see from what you write a dog who mimics other dogs energies to play at their level and maybe be a little careless. If she does not bite for real and she is not aggressive then the only problem I see is that other people with pups or small dogs do not like this behavior so you can try and watch her when she plays and when a pup goes near or she goes near a pup call her back to you so she can come and settle her down a little and then let her go play again.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't have much advice other than what I have good success from is by leashing Lenny and giving him a 'time out'. Not a, 'you're in trouble time out', but a 'take a break and calm down'. It let's him calm himself a little bit, and the other dogs will calm down some in result and so the play isn't as intense. Also exercise before coming to the dog park will also take the edge off. But even still, some dogs like to play really rough. Others like to chase. Finding dogs with your dog's play style will make it easier. Maybe you can set up times with the foxhound and husky? Come earlier to the dog park before it gets busier with other dogs?

Also, if your dog is growling at you at home, do not correct their growling or other signs they're giving you. Correcting those warning signs will lead to a dog who eventually will not give a warning before a bite and instead just bite. Depending on why she's growling, you'll need to change her emotional feelings towards the situation that makes her uncomfortable to really solve the problem. If she's growling at other dogs at the dog park when she's cornered, then I'd advise you step in and help move the other dog away to give her more space or leash her and take her get some water and a break from the other dog.

I'm sure there will be others who may have suggestions for a rambunctious dog at the dog park. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no i don't think she bit the puppy, but yea just as you said played too rough.
when she plays with other dogs who play rough they are totally fine, just the puppies or dogs who play less rough, she just doesn't know. but i think it'll be fine.
i call her and she comes to me and sits next to me and i hold her to calm down so yea.
she doesn't growl at home.
her 'showing teeth' i can see them when she play bites but when she's like angry/cornered, etc she curls her lips and her teeth are like bright in daylight.
thanks for the advice guys!

·
Registered
470 Posts
I also have a similar problem with my puppy, he's a big one and whenever he and my parents' dog (1yo small dog) comes, he would try to play with her and chase her. She goes near him at the beginning, but then he's a bit too rough and big that she gets scary and growls aggressively. My puppy might react aggressively if we let it escalate, which can result in a dog fight and we wouldn't want it. :(

But well, once he gets all the vaccines, I'm thinking of taking him to visit the shelter we have picked him from, so that he can play with other dogs of his size. I guess that the only way for them to learn is to play with other dogs.

But it's better if your dog can play with dogs of her size and energy 'till she learns to be gentler.

About her growling or showing her teeth, I agree that it's better not to leave it uncorrected, since it might get worse and worse and just imagine what if someday you need to do something she doesn't like for her own good, and she bites you (like taking dangerous food from her mouth)? Try not to show fear or back away when she growls while don't approach her immediately. Then maybe you can try "shh" gently (soothing sound for him, like telling her its fine) while approaching her slowly and then caressing her. That way you won't show her that you're afraid, and you can let her know that she can relax.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.