Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
So we have a 6 month old Border Collie mix who only weighs about 30 pounds. She is very sweet and loving, but was adopted and can be nervous around people. We have been bringing her to the dog park and she gets along with other dogs just fine, though occasionally gets run over because of her size, which is scary... Sometimes she tries to herd the other dogs by nipping their heels, but they usually just ignore her.

A few days ago we adopted a second dog. He is 2 years old, some kind of collie mix, and a little underweight, but he should weigh around 40 pounds. He is an incredibly gentle and medium energy dog that loves, loves, loves people.

So here is my question. So far there have been zero issues over toys, food, and bones. They can eat out of the same bowl, we try to separate them, but they don't seem to care, they share bones back and forth, though they each have their own, and sleep in each others bed. The problem is sometimes the Border Collie seems to play too rough with him. She will kind of drive him crazy with leg biting and when he engages, she likes bite his scruff and roll him over. Often he will roll over on his back, or go racing around and she will be all over him. (We keep them separate when we aren't home.) They do some teeth baring, but no growling and wag their tails a lot. The BC doesn't like to give the other dog a break, so I have to step in. I just worry that this is verging on "inappropriate" play, and I'm wondering how I can better control it. I think the BC is showing the other dog that this is her house and she is in charge, though she will back off and stop playing when we tell them too.

Is there anything I should be doing to make sure they have a good relationship?
Thanks!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much . Just carry on as you are as they seem to be getting on well. Your BC is young and likes to play, I doubt if her behaviour is anything to do with showing who's in charge.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts