Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog picked up a chipmunk in his mouth. The chipmunk was clearly not ok, otherwise my dog wouldn't have been able to catch it. He dropped it quickly and as far as I could see the chipmunk had no open wounds or injuries. I did not touch it or pick it up but wanted to make sure my dog didn't really hurt it. It couldn't seem to walk, was doing some strange rolling. I assumed it had just been previously hurt by another animal or fall. But my neighbor saw it and thinks it might have rabies and now I'm nervous about my dog.

My dog is up to date on his vaccines and I don't believe was bitten at all by the chipmunk. I'm so nervous that he was exposed! I called the vet and they said keep an eye on him for 10 days, but I'm still freaking out a little. :eek:

Thanks for any words of reassurance!

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Seems if he is current on rabies vaccine he should be ok, even if he was exposed, which may or may not be the case. Guess you could spend some time just examining him to be sure one way or the other if there is a bite wound or not.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
It'd be highly unusual for the chipmunk to have rabies.

"Small rodents like squirrels, hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, chipmunks, rats, and mice) and lagomorphs including rabbits and hares are almost never found to be infected with rabies and have not been known to transmit rabies to humans." https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/exposure/animals/other.html

I'd be more worried if he had gotten hold of a racoon.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ditto... have not heard of a chipmunk getting rabies, though all mammals have the potential. Fleas and ticks are the most likely problems a dog might contract from handing a chipmunk, other than a bite. I would not be too concerned. And, if up to date on rabies, not to worry anyway... that vaccine is about as close to 100% effective as vaccines get.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts