Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my biggest pet peeves is when off leash areas ask you to clean up your dogs poop (which I always do anyway) but don't leave a trash can for miles so I'm stuck carrying around a bag of ****!

Also when people scream "he's not friendly!" about their off leash dog out of their reach or control which happened just the other day. Charming! Keep him on leash if he's so unfriendly! What do you want me to do about it?? Your dogs running right at me!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Those are good ones, though thankfully ive never had to deal with either.

I think my biggest one right now is when people continue to try and pet your dog that nervous around strangers using the excuse of "im good with dogs" or something along those lines. Clearly even though my dog is hiding being me or barking at you, just because your good with dogs means that you can still pet him :eyeroll:

And the other one that's happened to me a few times, is people decided to bark at your dog when its barking at them :confused:. It just happened a few days ago when I took Sawyer to the town pond for a "walk" (Ive never been on the "trails" so I wasn't sure what they were like or how long they were). Sawyer was barking like he normally does because he's nervous around strangers, and one of the 2 guys fishing at the dock mentions something along the lines of that he's harmless and his pit is like that. Which is fine as long as he got that Sawyer wasn't being aggressive. So I mentioned that Sawyer doesn't a fan of strangers as im trying to get into the trail with him. So the guy decides to then make a barking noise at Sawyer.... because apparently that seemed like a good idea to do to a nervous dog. Then again that guy made me weary for other reasons.

Oh and when some ones clearly home and they don't come get their loose dog that run up to you and your dog on a walk. And its now your job to make sure nothing happens between the dogs and to make sure that the dog gets home safe instead of following you or wandering off.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are good ones, though thankfully ive never had to deal with either.

I think my biggest one right now is when people continue to try and pet your dog that nervous around strangers using the excuse of "im good with dogs" or something along those lines. Clearly even though my dog is hiding being me or barking at you, just because your good with dogs means that you can still pet him :eyeroll:

And the other one that's happened to me a few times, is people decided to bark at your dog when its barking at them :confused:. It just happened a few days ago when I took Sawyer to the town pond for a "walk" (Ive never been on the "trails" so I wasn't sure what they were like or how long they were). Sawyer was barking like he normally does because he's nervous around strangers, and one of the 2 guys fishing at the dock mentions something along the lines of that he's harmless and his pit is like that. Which is fine as long as he got that Sawyer wasn't being aggressive. So I mentioned that Sawyer doesn't a fan of strangers as im trying to get into the trail with him. So the guy decides to then make a barking noise at Sawyer.... because apparently that seemed like a good idea to do to a nervous dog. Then again that guy made me weary for other reasons.

Oh and when some ones clearly home and they don't come get their loose dog that run up to you and your dog on a walk. And its now your job to make sure nothing happens between the dogs and to make sure that the dog gets home safe instead of following you or wandering off.
I hate that! Cosmo is nervous as well and sometimes I'll tell people they can if they agree to let him sniff them (which is about as far as most people get with him) and crouch down to his level. Children are just a no, flat out. I've had several dirty looks from parents because I tell their darling snotty screaming 4 year old they can't hug or grab my dog. Sorry I don't want your child to get bit or my dog to be put down!

Also :eek: I've never had anyone bark at Cosmo while he's barking at them that's awful! Not sure what triggers his barking, I think it may be when we're alone for a while and someone approaches us out of nowhere. Like if we are the only ones in an area like a field and someone walks over, it's likely they're getting barked at. The joys of Aussie ownership!

There's a girl who never leashes her lab and he is so annoying and runs all over the road and antagonizes other dogs, especially smaller ones, and I want to slap some sense into her. She's always like "we trained him he's usually good off leash!" Clearly he's not trained lady!

·
Registered
502 Posts
My dogs are totally fine with strangers petting them, but Echo occasionally jumps on them so we're still working on that. But sometimes when people pet her and she jumps up, i correct her and make her get down, and they're like, "oh i'm used to dogs, it's totally fine," and then encourage her do do it again. Ok but that's not the point. I don't want her to do it and she's my dog! It really just irritates me so much.

Any off leash dog that's poorly behaved and the owner just sits there doing nothing. Or tries but fails. If they aren't trustworthy, don't do it. Chess is trustworthy in virtually all situations, but there are a couple she's not 100% so i make sure and put her on a leash. It's really not that hard, and safer for me and her.

My parents neighbors let their intact black lab mix roam all the time. They say they won't chain or fence him since he comes back and don't want to take his manhood away. UGH. Its those kind of irresponsible people that play a huge part in filling the shelters.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Sawyers the same with kids, he's gotten better, but is still nervous around them. It also doesnt help that non of my nephews and cousins are respectfull of this and always try to pet him right away and dont give him space and time. Plus they continually run in front of him and play with toys sawyer is scared of, so ts hard ge him to associate kids with good things

Reactions: cos

·
Registered
579 Posts
Lately it has been comments about my dogs weight. They are sight hounds, they are thin, they are not starved.

I really get irked when we are out walking and people yell at me for starving my dogs, abusing my dogs, ect. The passive aggressive comments are pretty bad too "See! look they obviously don't love their dogs because they are so skinny". While they are walking some fat waddling black lab.

If your dog cannot see it's own feet then you have no right to comment on mine!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
People do the jumping thing with Cosmo, and they will pat their laps to get him to get up on them when they're sitting or standing. Like no! Stop!

Another is when people feed my dog without asking. He has a couple allergies and also is a terrible beggar, so when someone has 12 dogs at the dog park swarming them while they hand out treats from a bag, it's not only a recipe for a fight, but also incredibly annoying to know my dog is having begging behaviors reinforced as well as potentially getting something that's going to make his stomach sick or his skin dry. And so help me god - if that happens I'll flip. His fur is finally shiny and the soft and vibrant and it took me ages of painstakingly finding the right food ingredients and crossing out the ones that didn't help.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lately it has been comments about my dogs weight. They are sight hounds, they are thin, they are not starved.

I really get irked when we are out walking and people yell at me for starving my dogs, abusing my dogs, ect. The passive aggressive comments are pretty bad too "See! look they obviously don't love their dogs because they are so skinny". While they are walking some fat waddling black lab.

If your dog cannot see it's own feet then you have no right to comment on mine!
:confused: That's so annoying! People who think feeding their dogs to severe illness is loving them make me so mad! My grandparents are one of those people and will buy whole burgers from McDonald's for their Lab mix. Why? WHY??

·
Registered
579 Posts
Cos - I won't even buy burgers at Mcdonalds for me. Ew! It is hard to educate people about canine obesity though because they do not want to hear it.

Reactions: Sabina88 and cos

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I agree with the dog obsisity part. Wow i couldnt imagine getting a whole hamberger for a dog. Fast food ones arent even really healthy for people.
My grandfather and his wife have a daschund and a daschund mix, and there both wicked over weight. Especially the mix. There litterly sausage dogs... and that must be really hard on there joints given the breed.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think mine is when people let dogs with ZERO recall off leash, even in off leash dog parks there have been people spending half and hour trying to catch their dogs.

Also people who let their dogs wander, there is 5 repeat offenders near our dog park, that are out pretty regularly, 3 with reasonable road sense, and 2 without and a very steep road that people speed on, it is not going to end well.

·
Registered
531 Posts
People telling me that because my Rottweilers don't weigh a 150 lbs, they must be starved! Yes people, they are supposed to have that "tuck" by the hips! Not dragging a gut on the ground!

Off leash dogs in areas that have leash laws in place! HATE IT!

Strangers throwing treats/human food to them without asking.
Yes, I just told my dogs to leave it. Keep it in your pocket - I don't know what it is and where it has been! If you really want to give my dogs a treat, I'll pass you some!

"Staring my dogs down so they know you are alpha"...
F--- off!

Telling me that I need to toss'em off the nearest cliff before I get mauled to death in my own bed.
Again, f--- off.

Not picking up after your dog. I get that sometimes we run out or forget a bag but some people do it faithfully!

Some of you might wonder if I don't like people...
I like my dogs better.. lol :p

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I think mine is when people let dogs with ZERO recall off leash...
Yea that is probably my biggest one.

The worse encounter to that effect happened when I was at the beach with Toast once. A guy came jogging with a dog, which lagged behind and totally ignored his owner calling him while getting up in Toast's face as Toast was coming out of the water with a stick.

When something is actually IN Toast's mouth, it's like a hypnotic pacifier - until I ask him to drop it, it's not going anywhere. I just kept him moving with me until the guy finally came to actually collect his dog, whereupon he says "I was calling him because he tries to take sticks away from dogs when they come out of the water."

Ok. Except your plan kind of hinges on your dog actually coming when you call, dude. Someday he's going to try that with a dog who RGs and it's not gonna be pretty.

In general it drives me nuts when people walk their dogs off leash in the neighborhood, too, regardless of their recall. My area is way too busy for that and they have to stick so close anyway that there's just no reason for it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yea that is probably my biggest one.

The worse encounter to that effect happened when I was at the beach with Toast once. A guy came jogging with a dog, which lagged behind and totally ignored his owner calling him while getting up in Toast's face as Toast was coming out of the water with a stick.

When something is actually IN Toast's mouth, it's like a hypnotic pacifier - until I ask him to drop it, it's not going anywhere. I just kept him moving with me until the guy finally came to actually collect his dog, whereupon he says "I was calling him because he tries to take sticks away from dogs when they come out of the water."

Ok. Except your plan kind of hinges on your dog actually coming when you call, dude. Someday he's going to try that with a dog who RGs and it's not gonna be pretty.

In general it drives me nuts when people walk their dogs off leash in the neighborhood, too, regardless of their recall. My area is way too busy for that and they have to stick so close anyway that there's just no reason for it.
'My dog is great off lead'. Well it's not if it just ran off and is ignoring you calling it back.

Reactions: sassafras

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
people that let their young, obnoxious untrained small dogs run up off-leash to obviously leash agressive dogs on leash that weigh problably 3-times more than theirs.

just seen it at my evening walk a few hours ago.
Megalomaniac chihuahua "attacks" Carne Corso-mix.
CC-mix is not amused.
the owner had a hard time to block the CHi stop her own dog from eating said chi.
Meanwhile the Chi-owner was just standing there grinning,watching her chi dance and jump around them barking.
Luckily the Chi ran away after a while, but seriously... even if the dog would have been friendly, he could have hurt the little one, by stepping on it.
I'd have almost peed myself if my dog were at the recieving end of the quiet, deep growl of the CC.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I get tired of people thinking my male dog is female. Yes, I realize it's just an innocent mistake, and I'd rather them say "she" than "it", but you'd think someone would get it right once in a while!

It's the weirdest thing: everyone thought my previous female dog was male; now everyone thinks my male dog is female…
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I actually also get bothered when people call him a girl! For some reason people think he's a girl all the time and I'm not sure why.

Also, people call him a border collie constantly!! It's so annoying to me. A lady actually fought me on his breed and told me she "had a dog that looked just like that and she was border collie" and tried to tell me the people I bought him from lied to me. K

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OOH! Another is when people look at me with an extremely condescending look followed by "what happened to his tail?" As if I adopted him and thought "nah, don't like that." And hacked it off with a kitchen knife

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
1. People telling me I'm starving my dog. No, he's just not fat, he runs and works hard for the marvelous tuck.
2. He is not a girl. He has a red collar, and his name is Levi, but I get girl all the time.
3. He is not a husky mix. I know, that blue colour is deceptive, but he is not. I promise. He is also not a Border Collie. I swear. He is not blind in his blue eye. Yes his tail is docked, he came that way to me, it's not like I cut it off with a pair of scissors.
4. I really hate when people won't call their dogs away from the dog park gate when we are trying to come in. Recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
260 Posts
My biggest one is people at the dog park come over and inform me that Rocky is aggressive. For nothing more than growling while he plays. He is a very vocal dog and I get told he is aggressive and dangerous all the time!

I am also having a problem with my step dad and step brother grabbing Rocky's tail and pulling on it. He hates having his tail grabbed now because of them and he has nearly bitten them both! All they will say is that they will bite him back or punch him. We then get into a huge fight.

I also have the problem with people telling me Rocky is to thin but my vet says he is in great shape! I think I will listen to her before some stranger! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 39 Posts