Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Sorry for the long post! The short of it is, we just rescued a dog 3 days ago and she will only go potty (both pee and poop) once a day in the morning. Is this normal? More info below if needed.

We’ve been working on potty training. We live in an apartment, so we have to take her out on a leash. We crate her at night. The first morning my husband took her out for a walk and she did not go. When she got back in the house, she went in the kitchen and left a urine puddle and two poop piles when we weren’t looking. We took her out many times through that day and she didn’t go. The next morning we were more careful. My husband took her out for a walk and she didn’t go. He brought her in and she immediately started to pee on the floor. He stopped her and took her back out. She didn’t go. He brought her back in and we put her in her crate. I took her out an hour later and she peed once and pooped twice outside (victory!). We’ve taken her out throughout the day and she won’t go. Is it normal for a dog to only go once per day? The dogs I’ve known have urinated at least a few times. She was taken to the vet right before we got her and they said she was ok, but I don’t know what all they did.

Thank you for your input!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
She is probably very nervous and trying to figure out where she is, and what happened to her. The pooping once a day shouldn't be a problem, as long as she continues to do that, though most dogs I know do go two or three times a day. The peeing only once a day, could over time become problematic, like leading to a UTI, but, probably taking her out more often, might start conveying the idea to her. Also, if she pees inside, she gets nothing, outside leads to tons of praise and a treat. Won't take her long to figure out, 'I can pee outside for snacks'. When we were training Samantha, we took her out every 30 to 60 minutes. She, within about three weeks, realized that peeing and pooping outside was her virtual key to the pantry.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts