Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6 year old spayed female Pitbull is peeing in my bed - but only when I’m relaxing next to her watching movies, and only in the evenings. She has done it 5 times now in the past 3 weeks. I took her to the vet to have her urine analyzed and it came back normal, and I wanted to wait to see how things continued before getting blood work done. I share custody of her with my ex (we have been going week on and week off for about 7 months now), and she only does it at my house. I figure if it were a health issue (urine dribbling, incontinence, kidney problems, etc.) it would be happening all the time, like during the day, when I’m not home, at night.

I live with a roommate that has 2 dogs, my girl doesn’t really care for them or play with them. The one dog is very old and has diabetes so pees in the house (which upsets me), so I don’t know if that has any effect on the situation.

She has a healthy appetite, drinks a normal consistent amount of water from day to day, no excessive licking of the genital area, no inflamed vulva. So I’m trying to connect the commonalities of when it does occur: I am sitting next to her on the bed watching movies, I have my cell phone next to me (she doesn’t like my cell so I have it on silent at home), we are relaxing.

I am just dumbfounded as to why this is happening, and wonder if I’m not the only one! The poor thing looks so shocked and embarrassed, I bathe her after it happens and cuddle her and tell her it’s ok – as I know she’s just as surprised as I am!

Is it situational? Is it hormones? Is it stress? Help!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I'm sure others that are more knowledgeable will chime in here, but did the vet mention anything about spay incontinence? I think it could be a possibility, if she's just going while she's just laying there, and there's no UTI or anything else to explain it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You would think if it was incontinence though it would happen at different times of the day/ different contexts. My last pup was incontinent in her old age and it would just kind of *hit* her and like you said, she'd look very surprised and kind of have an "uh oh" expression when she realized what was going on. But that wasn't specifically at one time of the day.
There's lots of different causes for urinary incontinence which would be something to sort out with your vet if you think thats really it. It does seem odd though. Maybe for now make sure before you relax in bed that she goes out for a pee and reward her for going or work on training a command to go to the bathroom... just to help prevent any more accidents.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Maybe the movies or the relaxed state make her nervous somehow. You could try doing something she never pees during in the evenig instead of relaxing, and see if she still pees. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
You would think if it was incontinence though it would happen at different times of the day/ different contexts. My last pup was incontinent in her old age and it would just kind of *hit* her and like you said, she'd look very surprised and kind of have an "uh oh" expression when she realized what was going on. But that wasn't specifically at one time of the day.
There's lots of different causes for urinary incontinence which would be something to sort out with your vet if you think thats really it. It does seem odd though. Maybe for now make sure before you relax in bed that she goes out for a pee and reward her for going or work on training a command to go to the bathroom... just to help prevent any more accidents.
That's true, I would also think it would happen during different times as well, if it was all-around incontinence. Good point; Dogs4Jesus makes a good suggestion as well, maybe try doing something different in the evenings for a few days and see if it still happens. I'm stumped beyond that, but please do give us an update if you/your vet figures it out! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts