Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 yr old yorkie mix (believed to be mixed with cairn terrier). I have had him for a few years now. He had been in at least 2 other homes before I got him (that I know of). When I first got him he would go inside sometimes. He is the type that if he doesn't get left out enough he will just go in the house. He had been getting better about it and it didn't happen much at all. Things have changed the past couple of months though. He has started peeing in the house more. Even when left out regularly. For instance I let him out this morning when I got up. About half an hour later I left for work. Within the next half hour or so my son let him out again too cause he was acting like he had to go. Then about another half hour or so my dad found a spot where he had peed inside too.

This is starting to worry me. I'm thinking something may be wrong. The only thing that changed recently was his food. I started feeding him Innova Evo. He used to be on Taste of the Wild brand food. I had been trying to find him the right food as he is picky and had problems with dry/itchy skin when I got him. I have always choose foods that are high quality.

The Evo food has a higher protien content than other high quality foods. Is their anyway this could be causing him to have bladder problems or something???? What other things could cause this?

thanks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Have the vet check him for kidney/bladder stones it could also be an infection causing him to feel urgency to go frequently. Diets too rich in protein can be a problem for some dogs, the protein builds up in the bladder eventually causing a stone I have seen a stone removed from a chihuahua that was the size of a walnut & considering their bladder isn't much bigger it can be quite painful and they will fill a full bladder & go a lot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My terrier started out like that. It turns out she was a diabetic She is now on insulin, wd dog food and Just Because For Dog Treats from the internet. The peeing has stopped and she is so much better. Get glucose sticks from the drug store and test her sugar and then follow it up with the vets. Cairn terriers are prone to diabetes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There are lots and lots of causes for polyuria (increased urination). Does he strain when he urinates and exhibit pain? Passing only a little at a time? If so, consider an obstruction or stones etc. There are also kidney problems that can cause it as well as a host of others. Take him to the vet and tell them the issue, they will do a work up and some tests and should find out. Nobody can diagnose this over the internet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i took him off the innova evo food and put him on something with a lot lower protein level and he has stopped peeing so much. he is back to normal now. so i guess it was just the high protein level or something in that food.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Glad to hear that he is better! A higher quality food isnt always better for every dog. Our beagle mix we rescued from mexico has a horrible issue with high levels of protein.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts