Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a one year old female koolie. We adopted her from a shelter about two and a half months ago and she was spayed the week before we got her.
I have noticed since we got her that very occasionally I can smell urine but not usually for very long. In the last few days I've noticed that she's been peeing in her sleep.
Her normal peeing/pooping/drinking/eating habits are unchanged. I haven't noticed her licking her vulva any more frequently. Her vulva looks pink and healthy and doesn't seem irritated, nor does she have any obvious discomfort in her abdomen. I haven't noticed any discomfort when urinating and there doesn't seem to be any blood. I haven't been able to see if it's cloudy.
When she urinates in her sleep it hardly has any odour it only smells like very weak urine if you get close to it. The wet patches seem to be fairly consistent at around 20cm diameter and it doesn't wake her up.
So I'm thinking it's either spay incontinence or a urinary tract infection. Can anyone please share any similar experiences or advice they may have before I take her to a vet?

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
She's very young for spay incontinence, that usually starts around the age of 5. My guess would be the beginning of a UTI.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My dad's dog is 2 years old and she's had it ever since she was spayed at about 8 months. Although hers is more a constant leaking whereas my girl's is just when she's asleep. Will take her to the vet either way just to be on the safe side. thanks for your opinions :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
My dog would also had that problem if she slept on a soft surface. It was so sad. She would wake up and stand up to see a puddle. Big puppy eyes...

Took her to the vet and had tests done including an ultrasound of her bladder. We determined she has spay incontinence and she was started on one tablet of Proin every 12 hours at 9 months old. She is now over 2 and is down to 1/2 a tablet every 12 hours. I think I am going to try to reduce it again but she may be on it for life.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts