Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Duke, my great dane/ malamute mix, has started peeing everywhere.
He is 6 years old and has never had problems like that before. they just showed up this year. We let him out every day into our fenced yard for hours at a time so he has plenty of time to do his business outdoors. We also let him go outside after every meal.
He doesn't pee just anywhere though, so i dont think its a health issue. He only pees upstairs on the carpet on corners (wall corner, bed corner, door way, etc.) I haven't caught him doing it, but I know it is him.
Any idea why he's doing it and how to fix it? My dad really wants to get rid of him because of this, so I really need help. :/

·
Registered
4 Posts
It could still be a health issue. First things first, I'd take him to the vet for a checkup.

If he's all cleared, you may just need to be extra vigilant. Don't let him go upstairs alone. Blocking the stairs with a baby gate would be an easy place to start. Take him outside hourly. Praise him endlessly when you see him peeing outside. Make sure you're cleaning pee spots with an enzymatic cleaner. Dogs go where they can smell that they have gone before and regular cleaners don't break down urine proteins.

·
Registered
343 Posts
It may be a urinary tract infection (UTI) so take him ASAP to the vet to test that out. You can't guess at this, you need to be sure. A UTI can permanently damage the kidneys, so don't wait.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts