Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I live with my mom in a small apartment, together with a little dog (about 5 months old). He's been with us for some 5 weeks now. Practically from the beginning of his stay, he has been peeing outside, when my mom takes him for a walk (she does this at least 4 times every day). Anyway, today he unexpectedly peed under my bed, so I can't help but wonder if this is some kind of hostile act toward me (he was, perhaps, marking "his" territory)?

This is definitely my mother's dog - she feeds him, walks him, he follows her around throughout the apartment all the time, he's extremely happy when she gets home from work, etc. My relationship with this dog (or at least I thought so) is ok. I pet him a few times a day and I have a positive attitude towards him, but it's clear that he is a lot more attached to my mom than he is to me (which is, of course, understandable).

Anyway, I was wondering if there's a chance that, perhaps, he perceives me as sort of a threat for his mistress' affection, so that could be the reason he peed under my bed?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
This is absolutely and positively not anything hostile or marking of territory or because he thinks you are a threat. This is just a puppy who is not 100% house trained yet. Just continue with the house training as usual, and don't put human emotions and motivations onto the dog. This is something a lot of people do, but it is a mistake because dogs do not think like people.

Most importantly, no one should ever scold or punish the puppy for going in the house. (I don't know if you do or not, so just saying)
I suggest that you clean the pee under your bed VERY thoroughly with special enzymatic cleansers (just regular ones won't work) that are designed to remove all trace of the smell because if the dog can still smell it, he will want to go there again. And, keep your bedroom door closed for a while and he will forget that he ever did that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts