Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 3 year old Irish Red Setter has been passing quite a lot of blood in her urine. The first time it happened, we took her straight to the vets who prescribed a weeks course of antibiotics (Synulox) for the treatment of a UTI. The blood and struggle to urinate seemed to clear after a few days, and we finished the course of antiobiotics. A few days later, the blood started up again. We took her immediately back to the vets who prescribed another course of antiobiotics for 10 days instead of a week, and also took a urine sample for cultures. Again, the blood and struggle cleared up after a couple of days and she finished the course of antibiotics. This one was harder to finish as it seemed to be making her vomit. We tried giving her the tablets with food, which seemed to help a bit.

Now she's bleeding again, and whilst I'm going to go back the vets, I wanted to know whether or not any of you have the slightest idea what's going on with her. She's not changed her behaviour, other than needing to go to the toilet more often, she's still eating normally and being an all round pain in the neck as usual. If any of you have any idea, please do let me know. I'm panicking now, I really don't want her to be seriously ill or in danger. She's been having very watery, runny stools too. No deviation from her food regime or type, nothing bad that she's eaten that I know of. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I'd think an xray or ultrasound of the bladder and kidneys would be the next step.
There could be stones in the bladder or a tumor. Best to rule those out if possible. Good luck.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Blood in urine could be many things and only further investigations by your vet can provide diagnosis.

What did the urine sample and culture show up?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts