Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I want to take my 8 month old puppy to a dog park tomorrow. The park near me is fenced and has lights and is supposed to be really nice. I just put her flea and tick stuff on today so she would be safe for tomorrow. My dog is so friendly and I would love for her to stretch her legs and be social. Although I am a little nervous. I am scared because she is so young I wont be able to recall her back, I am also worried about the health aspect. I have heard people say that their dog got worms and parasites from going to dog parks. She is up to date with all shots and wormers. I was just wondering everyones opinion on the subject.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Most people who bring dogs to dog parks are animal lovers, too. So, that being said, MOST of the animals are also going to be up to date on shots and wormers, etc. so I'm thinkin' you don't have too much to worry about. I bring Tinka to the dog park, and she may just be special, but she is only 7months old and she is doing fairly well with her recall and checking back with us. But some of the dogs at the dog park, do not come back right away, but eventually will. I would suggest getting your pup better on her recall before bringing her. But it's also a good thing to for socialization. A lot of people do not like dog parks because owners don't correct bad behaviors while they are there, but as long as you do with your dog, you will be fine. I love the dog park around my house because the animals are pretty well behaved for the most part. and Tinka likes to sit and watch at times, too. Plus this is the only dog park that seems to have a good mixture of small and big dogs hanging around. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up taking her yesterday. She did really well and got along with the other dogs. She was a lot smaller than them..shes only 27lbs. She got pushed around a lot but was able to hold her ground. She recall was really good and she came back to me all the time, she actually hid between my legs at first. One gsd was really rough with her and she just got scared and jumped into my arms. We took her into the small dog area after because there was no dogs in there and she just ran circles and cirlces, some body told us to enter her into a race since she is fast and built like a grey hound I will probably take her back this weekend.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just watch when other dogs are being rough with her, it can traumatize her and you don't want that. My dog is only 9 pounds, so all the dogs are bigger than her, but she holds her own. She knows to stay away or who to play with and what to do now, because she has figured it out on her own.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts