Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this isn't so much of a rant as it is a kind of survey to see what people have said about ya'll's dogs. Most people are dog parks are very nice people and Tucker and I have fun every time we go. Every once in a while, however, we run across a crazy. This was our most recent encounter:

Took Tucker to the park and, due to iffy weather, I parked by the park instead of half a mile away and walking like we usually do. Well, he was hyper and barked a little bit when we came in. He barked at the other dogs and once (like literally one bark) at an older lady before running and playing. "What is wrong with that dog?" I apologized and just told her that he was energetic but that he's friendly. No response, she goes and stares us down the whole time. Whatever. One week later, took Tucker again and this lady comes back. Tucker hadn't barked the whole time but, for some awful reason, he wanted to play with her dog. "That's the mean dog! He grazed by elbow when he jumped on me and was barking ferociously!" Uh, what? Tucker doesn't jump unless you're holding a tennis ball. I had my eyes on him the whole time. He sure as you know where did not jump on her, let alone "graze" her elbow. I was pretty upset about it (I take things personally when it comes to him since I invest so much time into correcting his behaviors, but I know I shouldn't) and told him "Let's go be ferocious somewhere else Tuck." Well, the old lady left and some younger people came and, after one of them brought it up, discovered that basically she finds something mean to say about everyone's dog that isn't at least part poodle or purebred. Once I heard that she was like that to everyone and their dogs, I felt much better. A lot of people avoid her apparently, so she's the new one that I've learned to avoid. :rolleyes:

Do ya'll have certain park goers that you avoid? Certain dogs? All three parks I've been to regularly have people or dogs that most people want to avoid. I never thought that dog parks could be so dramatic :eyeroll:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Ugh fortunately there is only one person like that in my neighborhood and I hate her for a whole host of other reasons two. Luckily she dislikes me just as much and if she sees me will walk the other way or cross the street to the other sidewalk.

Love the thread title though, a follow up thread could be:

The Internet: The Other Place Where People Know More About Your Dog Than You Do

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
These one woman who comes to the park with two little poodle things and a golden mix. The poodle things are horrible behaved, rude dogs--rude to people and dogs. They hump everyone else there, bark in their faces, bully other dogs and jump on people. The owner thinks thigs is funny and also screams to get them to stop. But I don't mean like 'no! stop!' I mean literal screaming and chasing trying to get them to break it up and stop. She's nuts.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
These one woman who comes to the park with two little poodle things and a golden mix. The poodle things are horrible behaved, rude dogs--rude to people and dogs. They hump everyone else there, bark in their faces, bully other dogs and jump on people. The owner thinks thigs is funny and also screams to get them to stop. But I don't mean like 'no! stop!' I mean literal screaming and chasing trying to get them to break it up and stop. She's nuts.
I'm sure that there maybe some "little poodle things" that don't act like that, but despite the tens of thousands of candidates in my city, I've never met one.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I have met plenty of perfectly nice poodles or poodle mixes. They seem to be a majority breed at the park. Hers are just dreadful.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
We have a woman with a big intact GSD that she is never in control of. He just runs around humping all the other dogs like crazy. She's always super far away so you have to push her dog off yourself. She gave me some major stink eye once, but Levi was 7 months old, and this giant GSD wouldn't get off him.

·
Registered
871 Posts
"WHOSE DOG IS THIS, IS THIS YOURS?!" I had a lady running after Dyno once pointing at him and screaming.

When Dyno first entered the dog park he was a bit over excited and normally has his hackles up for the first two minutes. He always settled down and showed no other aggressive signs. He always had a wagging tail, play bowing and running around with the other dogs. He just took a minute to settle down. The lady freaked out to tell me that my dog was going to maul the other dogs in there and that he was being very aggressive. He never got into any fights, and besides growling at dogs that humped him, showed no signs of aggression.

Ugh, I learned to ignore a lot of people and stopped going to that one.

Reactions: Tucker12

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@ThatYellowDog

Tucker does the same thing with his hackles. He's a really submissive dog that only snaps at dogs that try to hump him or when they try to take his toys when he's tired (which we usually leave at that point), but he never starts or even joins any fights. It's just him getting excited and it quickly goes down.

·
Registered
501 Posts
We are lucky. I have a local dog beach that is VERY protected and self policed by the regulars as we do not wanna screw up what we have. Technically it is an on leash beach but there is an unwritten agreement [wink wink] with the rangers that as long as there are no complaints or issues, they will not ticket off leash. (the leash law is still in place due to environmental anti dog activists more than community wishes)

Because of that, I have seen and I have personally run folks off the beach for dogs and/or owners that are mis behaving or causing problems...so we don't avoid the crazies, we make known in no uncertain terms that their behavior is not welcome.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
People have this idea that hackles up mean the dog is being aggressive. Often it's just excitement. Stella has that happen all the time when she's playing

Reactions: DrHarmony

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Long ago, before I learned that Maisy is not really a dog park dog, I was at a particular park (that I have come to dislike for a variety of reasons, mostly the culture of the regulars) with her when a guy came huffing up to where I and a few other people were standing and started shouting WHO HAS THAT SHEPHERD MIX? THAT SHEPHERD MIX JUST TOOK A BIG DUMP BY THE FENCE.

I wasn't really listening because Maisy is... nothing like a shepherd mix. But she came up to me and he just gave me the stink eye and started grumbling and I was like "Did you mean... her?" hahahaha I mean I pick up my dogs' poop no problem but... shepherd mix? lolz

The park I go to regularly actually has really dog savvy people for the most part and I have never really had a problem there except people who can't accept that Pip is shy and probably won't be friendly with them because ALL DOGS LIKE MEEEEEEE.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I just go to the park at off times, when I know not many other people will be there. Early weekend afternoons (1-4pm), and week days any time before 6pm our parks are pretty good. After that...it's just not worth it. Now Quenya I'll pay to take into our regulated, membership-oriented, fee required park because it's so lovely and well monitored. I'm super bummed I can't take Skipper because he's intact but I understand the reason and appreciate the efforts they go to to keep the park safe.

I stink-eye and "mutter" at/about inappropriate people at the dog park who are crazy or irresponsible. I'm definitely not afraid to tell a dog off if it's bothering one of mine.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yeah I avoid dog parks now, I did have a really awesome park too, but now its just always filled with people who have NO CLUE at all about dogs. Thankfully my two have each other for company and they prefer long walks instead.

But there was this one time ( I think I mentioned it a while back) when my rottie cross allegedly attacked a staffy that I wasn't aware of, council were involved and I was issued a notice , however council failed to provide evidence of such attack and the "owner" did not want to meet to show me her and her dogs "injuries" when my dog was wearing a muzzle at the time.
Nothing ever happened except I received a lovely little letter from council warning me that if it ever happened again they would seize my dog.

·
Registered
156 Posts
We only meet up with dogs Asha knows now; but someone brought a Bulldog to the park once, nice enough dog, had no real interest in other dogs, but it was breathing very heavily, it almost sounded like growling, Asha went over to make friends but got scared because she thought this dog was growling at her, so we called her away and the lady owner blew up at us accusing us of calling her dog vicious and all this crap, we were shocked and didn't say anything back, so she just stormed out of the dog park.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The park we go to has tons of humping dogs. No one neuters their pets here, and a surprising amount of people don't even try to stop their dogs. Tucker is really patient about this (almost too patient) but when he finally snaps at the dog it's usually intimidating enough for them to quit. I usually try to stop it, but the park is big and honestly I weigh less than some of these dogs, so it's not always possible.
My thinking for dog parks is No Perfect Dogs Allowed. Most dogs, if not all, have one issue or another. As long as the owner recognizes and is trying to correct the problem, I'm okay with it (unless it's killing my dog). Especially in a college town where most of our dogs are our first. Most people use good judgment about what their dog is doing and most people are very understanding about behavioral quirks. It's the ones that either don't try to correct their dog at all or think that their dog is perfect (when it's clearly got some issues as well) that really bother me at parks.

I've loved the stories (hopefully there will be some more) and it makes me feel better that this happens almost everywhere.

·
Registered
743 Posts
This is why I dont go to dog parks anymore LOL. Not because of the dogs, but because of the people, and my dog is very vocal when he plays, so he sounds like he is vicious and attacking the other dog.

·
Registered
156 Posts
This is why I dont go to dog parks anymore LOL. Not because of the dogs, but because of the people, and my dog is very vocal when he plays, so he sounds like he is vicious and attacking the other dog.
The noise wasn't why we called Asha away though, Asha knows dogs that are very vocal when they play. It was literately just because she was scared of this dog a we didn't want her getting defensive.

·
Registered
151 Posts
So this isn't so much of a rant as it is a kind of survey to see what people have said about ya'll's dogs. Most people are dog parks are very nice people and Tucker and I have fun every time we go. Every once in a while, however, we run across a crazy. This was our most recent encounter:

Took Tucker to the park and, due to iffy weather, I parked by the park instead of half a mile away and walking like we usually do. Well, he was hyper and barked a little bit when we came in. He barked at the other dogs and once (like literally one bark) at an older lady before running and playing. "What is wrong with that dog?" I apologized and just told her that he was energetic but that he's friendly. No response, she goes and stares us down the whole time. Whatever. One week later, took Tucker again and this lady comes back. Tucker hadn't barked the whole time but, for some awful reason, he wanted to play with her dog. "That's the mean dog! He grazed by elbow when he jumped on me and was barking ferociously!" Uh, what? Tucker doesn't jump unless you're holding a tennis ball. I had my eyes on him the whole time. He sure as you know where did not jump on her, let alone "graze" her elbow. I was pretty upset about it (I take things personally when it comes to him since I invest so much time into correcting his behaviors, but I know I shouldn't) and told him "Let's go be ferocious somewhere else Tuck." Well, the old lady left and some younger people came and, after one of them brought it up, discovered that basically she finds something mean to say about everyone's dog that isn't at least part poodle or purebred. Once I heard that she was like that to everyone and their dogs, I felt much better. A lot of people avoid her apparently, so she's the new one that I've learned to avoid. :rolleyes:

Do ya'll have certain park goers that you avoid? Certain dogs? All three parks I've been to regularly have people or dogs that most people want to avoid. I never thought that dog parks could be so dramatic :eyeroll:
What a nasty piece of work!! We've only just started taking Roscoe to dog parks and we're still keeping him on his 20-ft leash until we know he's good to run around the entire park, so no horror stories yet, but I know they'll come. ;)

My daughter took my son's dog Otis to the dog park last week and had some guy approach her and ask if Otis is a doberman (he is). He then asked why his ears and tail aren't docked and told my daughter that he would look much better and much more vicious if his ears and tail were docked. Kylie then told him that Otis is perfect just the way he is!... What a jerk!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tucker makes a lot of noise when he's playing too. I always try to find the owner and tell them that he's just playing but if it makes them uncomfortable then I can take him to the other side and play.

Just to add: My friend, Tucker, and I were at a pet supplies store and guess who we see. Yes, the crazy older lady who hates Tucker (I only say older because there are a few crazy people who hate Tucker and they all have similar describing names). She saw us, gave us this knowing, stink-eye smile and just waited for Tucker to mess up. The good news? Besides the fact that Tucker did EXCELLENT in the store and only barked a few times, the staff in there know us and absolutely love Tucker. The one cashier was even able to pet him this time (third-fifth time in there) without him barking. I had told them about his barking issues and they've been incredibly supportive and told me to bring him by anytime for training.

I don't understand why some people have to have it out for some dogs. Dogs are supposed to make you a better person, not a grouchy, spiteful soul that everyone at the park knows as "Old Mean Poodle Lady." She should be more like "Nice Loud Poodle Lady" who loves all the dogs at the park.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@gngracie

I hope you don't run into anyone too crazy, but dog parks seem to attract them. And he is a jerk! Who gets a dog based on how "vicious" it looks? I've seen plenty of vicious looking Chihuahuas (and plenty of nice ones, not hating) and I've never seen a mean looking Doberman. I hate when people ask personal preference questions like that. "Why do you use that type of collar? Why do you do this? Why isn't he doing this? You should enroll him in police work. Etc" Uhm, even though he's Mal/Shepherd Tucker is the biggest wimp of a dog and would be horrible at police work. Plus, do you wanna pay for it? No? Okay then, end of discussion. Or they tell you how your dog acts based on its breed. People are crazy when it comes to dogs (I guess we all might be in our own ways though...) and I hope your dog park experience stays great with Roscoe!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts