Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went to the dog park Las night and little Amo was attacked. He was playing with another dog, some kind of shepherd mix, and when the owner bent down to pet Amo her dog flipped a switch. This big bear looking dog attacked my puppy and she seemed afraid to grab it, so I did.

I realize I could have been bit but he had my puppy. So I grabbed itby the scruff until the owner finally got ahold of him, and he's still lunging.

We just moved away to a different part of the Park.
I really hope Amo moves on and doesn't become afraid again.
I also really hope that lady gets over her fear of her own dog and deals with that issue. How am I less afraid of someone else's dog than they are

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
I'm sorry this happened to your pup. This is why I don't go to dog parks. People don't know their own dogs, they don't know how to read the signs that dogs give and I don't want my dog to pay the price.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I used to be so pro dog park. I was always under the assumption that only people with nice, social, friendly dogs went to the dog park, and I couldn't wait to take my future dogs. Then I remember going and seeing people off playing with their own dogs, and I thought it was so strange to not have their dogs playing with other dogs.

Well, I quickly found out. People are idiots. They bring aggressive dogs in, young children in (seriously, there must have been a 6 year old, running around waving a stick. Heidi jumped for the stick and knocked the kid over. Kid cried, parents gave me an earful.)

Now I pretty much just go to a deserted park to meet up with friends who have dogs I trust and get along with. For what it's worth, Heidi was attacked by my parents' dog, when she was 10 weeks or so. She still likes other dogs, and had no long-lasting impacts. Levi was bit and got a puncture wound at the dog park, and still loves other dogs.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I've been to the local dog park once, very very early, no one else around.
I agree that a lot of times a dog park is more aggravation than it is worth.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We've decided to stick to morning only visits. There's a pretty tight group of regulars that go around 9am and their dogs are wonderful. I think that's why she was there so late. She was the only one until we showed up. As we were leaving another person passed us with their dog in a muzzle.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Shorty got attacked bad at a dog park a few months ago. The dog gave no signs and Shorty was standing right next to me. The dog just lunged, grabbed Shorty by the neck and started to shake him. It took what felt like forever to get the other dog off. Four people were hitting and punching the dog in the head. I finally remembered I had a water bottle in my pack and told my BF to get it. He dumped it on the dog and he let go, but then grabbed him again. Luckily it was mostly by the collar, but also Shorty's neck. I was able to get his collar off and the dog with it. That was a terrifying experience. Shorty was ok, but his neck swelled up and we talked to the vet about the possibility of needing a drain. But antibiotics and homeopathics fixed him up. I am fairly good at reading body language, but this dog just switched from friendly to attack. I later found out that the dog had gotten into a scuffle with a smaller dog just before we got there, the smaller dog started it. The dog had also been there for a few hours and the woman had only gotten the dog a couple of weeks before. Stupid, stupid stupid.
Sorry for rambling. How is your dog doing? Was there any wounds? Dog parks can be good places for some dogs, but you always have to be wary and watch. If you feel uncomfortable, leave. It's not worth taking a chance. Don't trust people to only bring well behaved dogs. But also sometimes a dog just doesn't like another dog. I hope your pup is doing well and doesn't have emotional damage from the experience.

Reactions: Artdog

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
.If you feel uncomfortable, leave.
This. Whenever anyone in my classes asks my opinion on dog parks, I always tell them: "If you want to go to the dog park, go. But, you need to be prepared to get there, go to the gate, and if you don't like what you're seeing, be prepared to leave. If you're not willing to do that, then don't take the chance." I have personally driven to the dog park, spent an hour walking my guys nicely to the gate. Went inside, and had a nasty dog terrorizing other dogs. I leashed mine up and we left. Wasn't really fair to my dogs, but I later heard that dog left a huge gash on another dog.

How is Amo acting today?

Reactions: annageckos

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am not a fan of dog parks anymore. I went with my in-laws when they took their maltese/yorkie one time to this awesome 1000 acre off leash dog park in Oregon, and he was just walking around sniffing. This other large some sort of husky mix dog walked by and all of a sudden grabbed the little dog by the back, shook him, and flung him against a tree! He was flung with such force that it caused major swelling in his spine and his front legs were paralyzed for a few weeks and it took a month for him to walk again. They count their lucky stars that that was all that happened to him.

Since then my friends dog got attacked so bad that she needed dental surgery and stitches since the other dog in the park attacked her in the face because they wanted the ball she had. Now that dog can't handle meeting new dogs without very careful introductions or she becomes fear aggressive, which is such a bummer because she used to live for the dog park.

You just can't trust random people to keep an eye on their dogs.

I hope you dog is okay!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is one dog at our park, who is weird agressive. I believe he's coyote/German Shephard cross, but his owner disavows the coyote. But most people keep on driving, if they see that dog there. Otherwise, the park is good, with nice folks and dogs.

I don't hesitate to talk to an owner, if their dog is pushy or semi agressive. The park is for everyone, and there are two pens, so an agressive or bullying dog can be separated physically from the rest.

I've told the owner of the agressive dog that I will do to him, what his dog does to my dogs. He thought I was joking, until I assured him that I was serious. I told him it was his responsibility to keep his dog from hurting any other dogs. I wouldn't hesitate to call the police on him. We'll see if he takes my warning seriously or not. In the mean time, if he's there, I keep a close eye on my dogs.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ugh, I am so sorry that happened to Amo. To help Amo, I heard it is good to quickly 'erase' the attack in a dog's mind by setting up some good experiences with other dogs very soon. Maybe find some trusted and well behaved dogs of friends and set up a little play date? The quicker you do it, the better. If Amo's last memory of a dog was this attack and it festers, it may not help his future interaction with other dogs. So you want to set up a fun, positive interaction with other dogs soon. Anyways, this is what I have read in dog psychology books...haven't experienced it myself.

I hope that lady stops taking her dog to the park. Yeah, I can see your frustration and she definitely should have gotten her dog off of yours! Sounds like she was afraid to get bitten by her own dog...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Amo didn't get any injuries thank god. When we got to the other side of the fence he noticed the same dog on the other side and went up to the fence to say hi again. So far I am planning on taking him back early but I can only do that twice a week on my days off since I work mornings.
I trust the group that shows up those days. One woman there runs the spca.I've done some secret agent spying on them (really just asking questions and watching their dogs) and they passed my test lol all positive shaping techniques, excellent leash mannors (meaning the owner knows when to use one) etc.
So twice a week I think will be our dog park routine. Is that often enough? I was going about 5 times a week.
I guess I will see when I get there how Amo feels.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I should also say he doesn't get to socialize with other dogs outside the park unless its by chance since I don't have any friends with social dogs

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
@Jadeofeye - My guys only go maybe once or twice a week, usually on the weekend to hang out with dogs we know. I don't like the risk.

Other than that it's nice walks, or running around the backyard.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is why I don't trust anyone with my dogs. He stays in the crate until IM home. He goes out with ME. I have no fear when it comes to my babies. I do t expect my boyfriend or anyone else to be so fearless (he was there at the park btw and I wad the only one not afraid of this ladies dog)
Dexter has a "step dad" or whatever who I trust and that's the only person. He was my boyfriend at the time when I got him and to this day Dexter visits him for a few days at a time and I know he will stick his arms in a wolf pack for him.
But you can't expect that of people! Gotta be careful.

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
Another example of why dog parks suck especially for pups. So sorry you had a bad experience. I like Turtle11's comments regarding setting your dog up in a more controlled situation with other dogs which have better manners.

The best thing about a dog park is using the parking lot or outside the fence perimeter as an area to train and proof your dog's skills. After that, I'm not interested.

·
Registered
256 Posts
So, I went to the dog park for my (and Bri's) first time yesterday.
We normally go to meet ups my trainer organizes with only dogs he trained that he knows are social (and he uses these meet-ups for socializing dogs as well) every other week.

I thought I try it out and now have a few questions (if this would be better in a separate thread, please Mods feel free to separate it):
My dog is an AmStaff mix, so she is playing rough and also running into people (she is only 11 months, sometimes I have the feeling she still has problems with calculating distance and slowing down correctly, so she could be bumping in you in full speed). Two or three people seemed to have been a little put off by that. Especially this one lady that sat on a bench, who said: "I'm glad I was sitting", but not in a normal voice, more a little dismissive.
There was a GSD who spent his time mostly by sniffing around very close to his owners, Bri went over to say "hi" rolled on her back, wanted to play, but then came back to me. A couple of minutes later, she went over again to try and the owners, also in a pretty dismissive, annoyed voice said: "That pit again."
Is this a breed thing or do people really think that they'd be left alone by other dogs at the dog park? I had dogs sniffing me and a little one jumping up my legs, but hey, I'm in THEIR playground, so I better like it, no?

Another thing: She was playing with an 8 month old golden puppy, and with playing I mean the whole thing: running into each other, jumping up like boxing with each other, growling, rolling over each other on the floor, but everything with wagging tails. Me and the owner of the other puppy were getting a bit uneasy, because it really looked like they were getting over stimulated, so we grabbed our dogs and let them calm down a bit.
Is this okay, or should we have let them played it out?
In the meet-up we normally go to there are so many dogs that they normally switch between play partners pretty frequently, so I have never seen this dog-play going on for more than a 2-3 minutes. Yesterday it was more like 10-15 minutes (or maybe it just seemed that long for me?).

There was a little cockapoo (Molly), and she was very uneasy with Bri, meaning, she went for her, tried to bite her and Bri, most of the time, just retreated. When Molly got too obnoxious, Bri tried to defend herself, hackles raised and growling, so I removed her from that situation and talked to the owner. He (by the way, he also went over to get his dog away from Bri and apologized for her behavior, so it was not as if he was ignoring it) said that Molly is fine with other dogs in general, big dogs, small dogs, but always has a problem with bully-type dogs (and she is very protective of him, so if a dog comes too close, she goes after any of them). He then asked me, if it would be okay for me, if we train a little bit, to get her used to Bri and I agreed. So we started out at a distance, he would praise Molly for not reacting until the growling started and then I retreated with Bri and started over again. It worked pretty well and after 10 minutes, she was fine with Bri being around (most of the time).
I'm now questioning if I should have done that. The owner was really nice and Molly did really well after some time as well, but in hindsight, what if Bri would have had enough and had tried to defend herself by biting before I could remove her from the situation (I was aware of this before and I told her owner that he has the smaller dog and if he wants to risk it, we can do it. But in hindsight, I don't want Bri to every have the feeling, she is being forced to bite in situations like this). I'm feeling a little stupid now to be honest.

Wow, this got really long, I'm sorry... I hope someone can chime in :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a quick update we went back and Amo still gets bullied, which is normal. He goes up to all the dogs to say hi still and even if they're too rough he whines and shrinks back and then always goes right back like he still wants to play. We only spent a few minutes walking through to get to the woods but I thinks he's got no change from that bigger dog. Hooray!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.