Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a catahoula/labpit mix. He is a year old and has never show any signs of aggression (aside from the barking at strange noises in the night). He is very much a mamas boy, we even have a kitten who he mothers. We regularly attend a local dog park where he is always being submissive to other dogs. Today, a dog came that we had see before, a chow, that has a bad rap, my dog (his name is tango) beared his teeth to this chow after the chow had shown some aggression towards him (i.e. charging him bearing his teeth and barking, growling, nipping). Another lab at the park has mildly attacked this chow while we were there (after he has shown aggression to him). We were getting ready to leave and the chow came up to my Tango again and tango flipped. He grabbed onto the dogs neck and just held on, shook a little, and would not let go (the lab also joined in). I guess my concern is that i have never seen this behavior before. He is not fixed (which I will not try and make an excuse for because I think animals should get fixed) and everybody is always weary of him when I tell him he is mixed with pit but honestly had NEVER shown any sort of angry towards anyone or anything. Can anybody suggest any precautions i should take, or give me some advice, I'm very much shocked. When we got home I put him in his kennel to let him cool down (right after the incident he was happy and fine but I was concerned that maybe the kitten bugging him would set him off? I really have no idea)

Thanks

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Did he hurt the chow? draw blood?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He left at least one puncture wound. He grabbed onto one spot and didn't let go to grab any other spot.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
http://www.dogforum.com/dog-behavior/how-2027/

you should check out the above thread...some useful info on how to break up a dog fight....

so, about this incident....i don't really know the "right" thing to do as i was not there...but a couple of things i would say you should think about:

if your dog displays any sort of aggression, it is your responsibility to make sure he doesn't injure any other dogs, this may include muzzling him and/or hiring a trainer/behaviorist and/or not taking him to the dog park...(i'm not saying that is what you should do, just think about it;)) this same thing applies to the other dogs involved in this incident...they maybe don't belong at the dog park...again, it is hard for me to say who's dog shouldn't be there since i didn't see the incident....but you did say that your dog injured the other dog, you may want to consult a good trainer/behaviorist anyway, just to be on the safe side....

that said, i have learned that there are certain dogs at the dog park who are more likely to be involved in fights then others, when they are there, i simply leave...i have tried to approach owners before and suggest that their dog may not belong in that setting, but have been unsuccessful so instead i choose not to be involved in the situation at all...with an unfamiliar dog, i will watch to gauge everybodies body language and the attentivness of the dog's owner...if i have even the slightest reservation, i take my dog and go...

hope this helps you out...

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That does help, thanks. I'm just so shocked, my dog is kinda oblivious to everything to the extent that other dogs have tried to fight him in the past and he just keeps wagging his tail completely unaware, but not this time. I think I might just hire a behaviorist, maybe they can tell me a little more, plus he does do some naughty things like jumping on me or pulling on the leash when we go jogging that maybe they can help with. I think we will stay away from the dog park for awhile and stick to jogs and other fun things.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I won't add a thing to what Fawkese wrote-good advice :)

I agree with just avoiding those dogs that are trouble, and doing the behaviorist thing before going back there :)

we're very lucky with our dog park here. Never seen a real incident, but there are two pitts who 'pack' together and try to hurt dogs (Try to hurt is probably a joke-any dog could hurt another dog-I guess what I mean is they seem aggressive, start fights etc) so when we see them we just call our dog and wait for them to go by (It's a big park).

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
That does help, thanks. I'm just so shocked, my dog is kinda oblivious to everything to the extent that other dogs have tried to fight him in the past and he just keeps wagging his tail completely unaware, but not this time. I think I might just hire a behaviorist, maybe they can tell me a little more, plus he does do some naughty things like jumping on me or pulling on the leash when we go jogging that maybe they can help with. I think we will stay away from the dog park for awhile and stick to jogs and other fun things.
good for you...in the long run, you won't regret it...one word of caution with this...just about anybody can call themselves a behaviorist or a dog trainer, make sure you are completely comfortable with what they tell you to do with your dog and that the dog is not physically harmed...i would steer clear of anyone who's first response to your situation is corrections/punishment (you cannot cure aggression with aggression, and your other issues are fairly common and can be solved pretty easily by simply not rewarding the unwanted behavior) if you have any doubts about what they are saying do not hesitate to ask for a second opinion, and you have every right to cancel their services if you are unhappy with them.....oh yeah...keep us posted on this ;)

did i just miss pictures of your pup??? or have you not posted any yet???

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Just checked out your album too WHAT a beautiful dog!! Great markings :) ...asleep in the laundry bin :p heheh

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:) thank you, he really is handsome. I'm hoping this whole incident was just an isolated one, that maybe he was egged on by the lab who had been on the chow earlier (maybe this is wishful thinking). I certainly want to learn as much as I can to avoid this happening again. I will keep you posted though. Thanks to everyone who replied!!!

p.s. I wish I had read that post earlier about how to break up a dog fight! It was very informative, I actually had him by the collar in retrospect was a dumb idea for my own safety considering there were three biting mouths in the dog brawl.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
you are welcome....

btw-it very well may be "isolated"..my dog backs down and shows "submissive" or "appeasing" behavior to any dog who tells him off no matter how big (or small), but if other dogs are fighting he gets really excited about it and wants to "join in"...one reason why i leave when certain dogs are at the park.....but it is hard to say...anyway i also forgot to mention...welcome to the forum!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
The key word when hiring a behaviorist is certified behaviorist.

With a trainer I wouldn't worry about certification (since compulsion trainers can be certified just as easy)

How old is this dog?

Personally, i think taking an intact male to a dog park is a no no, I'd say most of the fights I see include intact males.

If I were you I would not take him back. Ever. Not because you can't control him, but you can't control everyone else. Taking him back is inviting a lawsuit.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He is a year old.
I am incredibly happy that the man who owned the other dog didnt press charges or anything... he even said himself that his dog is pretty mean towards other dogs so perhaps he has been in the same situation.
I don't think its good to take an intact male to the dog park either (talk about a hypocrite). I guess along with the behaviorist I am going to get him fix, I dont think it will prevent anything from happening later in his life since he has been intact so long, but maybe it will help? I'm still an advocate and should get it done.

Thank's for welcoming me to the forum, clover looks like a sweetie!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
IMO a year old for an average size dog is spot on for a neuter.

Hes at a point in his development where his brain is going to fall out of his head on occasion...expect this until hes about 1.5-2 years old.

lots of dogs do GREAT at dog parks until they hit 1-2 years old, their puppy mentality starts to go away...a dog that was dog tolerant or dog friendly can suddenly have a shorter fuse and get into a fight. Its normal in a way, but its just one of those things where you don't want to set up the dog to fail. If you chose to go to the park again.... the second you see a snarky dog, leave. Every time.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts