Dog Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

My dog (she's little Chihuahua) has a relatively severe overweight problem after being fixed. I am so worried cuz it's so hard for me to help her lose weight. I hope there could just be a smart device/app whatever that can help me keep track of her body fat and tell me how to keep my furrbaby healthy....Does anyone has similar problems? What did you do to solve it?

Thank youuuu.

·
Registered
511 Posts
This article may be helpful.

How to Help A Dog Lose Weight - Mud Bay

To calculate the carbohydrate content of a food, add together (from the guaranteed analysis) the percentages of the following: crude protein, fat, moisture and ash (if ash is not listed 6% is average) and then subtract from 100 gives an estimate of carbohydrate content. Dog foods that contain grains ( rice, corn, wheat) generally tend to be higher carbohydrate content than those that do not have grains.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Thanks @Shadowfox , I didn't know about the hypothyroidism
I think this may be someone who is just playing games. They posted the exact same thing on a cat forum at the same time they posted this question. I suspect they won't be back, and that they didn't really need the advice they were asking about, just playing with us.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Actually that's okay, because a lot of other people now have good advice! Exercise being IMHO one of the best. Get them out and active! Chihuahuas are awesome dogs, but they get a bad reputation because people just don't train them! If you have a Chi, get them out, expose them to the world, and train them as to what is and is not acceptable! They're really fast learners!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If she is able to, maybe you could give her alot of ecxersise? Also, I remembered when I switched my dogs diet they were much healthier
Yes, I walk her once a day. Maybe I should give her more exercisese, but the thing is that she's getting lazier too, so she doesn't want to move a lot:cry:.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually that's okay, because a lot of other people now have good advice! Exercise being IMHO one of the best. Get them out and active! Chihuahuas are awesome dogs, but they get a bad reputation because people just don't train them! If you have a Chi, get them out, expose them to the world, and train them as to what is and is not acceptable! They're really fast learners!
Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yes, I walk her once a day. Maybe I should give her more exercisese, but the thing is that she's getting lazier too, so she doesn't want to move a lot:cry:.
Weight makes a dog less active! Feed less, move more, and train what is and is not okay.

The Chi I had was a basket case when he came to us, but just a little patient guidance set him straight, and he was awesome!

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think this may be someone who is just playing games. They posted the exact same thing on a cat forum at the same time they posted this question. I suspect they won't be back, and that they didn't really need the advice they were asking about, just playing with us.
Sorry for the confusion. I have a dog and a cat, and both of them have a weight issue...I guess I am just not a good pet parent so I wanted to ask for some advice.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. I have a dog and a cat, and both of them have a weight issue...I guess I am just not a good pet parent so I wanted to ask for some advice.

You are a good pet parent, you are concerned and asking for advice and help for your pets, have you talked to your vet to rule out any underlying health issues and gain an understanding of how much your pets should weigh and how to safely get them to that goal?
You are certainly not alone, many, many dogs (over 50% in the US) are tasked with carrying too much weight.
No need to apologize, you haven't done anything wrong.

Reactions: Kayla0000

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Maybe you could try a fun approach and get her moving again with games? Maybe you play hide and seek now and then? My dog really loves to play this, I had to train him to wait while I go hide and to look for me when I say "Ozzy, find me" (I don't use my recall word and save it for an really important time or specific training). Or you could hide her dinner (or a portion) around the room or home for her to sniff out. All this will engage her mind and add mental stimulation. I think it would help to get her to want to move more.

Training sessions are really great for the mind too! She will be learning new things and that's exciting! Have you ever heard of Scatterball? Let's say for her meal (or a portion), you throw a kibble about 5 feet away. She runs after it and as she looks back at you, you start moving in the opposite direction and say "what your recall word will be" (to entice her back to you). When she gets back right to you...big praise. Then you throw another kibble in another direction 5 feet away and when she looks back at you after going for the kibble, you start moving back the other way again or any other direction (to entice her back to you) and say "what your recall word will be". Remember it's the recall you are really praising for. They usually will automatically go chase the kibble. It enforces the recall word plus gets them moving and they get to chase something (engages their instincts) with forward motion.

Have you trained a touch (touch your hand with her nose)? If so, use it to get her moving between your hands. Back and forth. I now hold my hand up higher and my dog jumps up to touch. I move a few steps sideways and he touches the other hand in the air. Maybe weaving between your legs?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You are a good pet parent, you are concerned and asking for advice and help for your pets, have you talked to your vet to rule out any underlying health issues and gain an understanding of how much your pets should weigh and how to safely get them to that goal?
You are certainly not alone, many, many dogs (over 50% in the US) are tasked with carrying too much weight.
No need to apologize, you haven't done anything wrong.
Thank you sooo much🧡

·
Registered
3 Posts
The one thing that I have not seen asked is how much do you feed your dog? Are free feeding your dog? If you are free feeding your dog, stop the free feeding and start feeding small portions in the morning and small portions in the evening. As already mentioned, if you are giving treats, stop the treats until the weight has been lost. What kind of food are you feeding? If it's kibble you cannot go by the chart on the dog food bag. Two of my dogs are 90 lbs. The kibble chart says to feed them 5 cups a day. They get 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the evening and they maintain their weight. They both have a nice waistline, I can feel their ribs and no belly sag. As already mentioned cut the amount of food gradually, 10% this week, and maybe a little less each week until you start to see some progress. To get the weight off is a long process and you cannot give in to the looks and buttering up that you will get from the pup.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The one thing that I have not seen asked is how much do you feed your dog? Are free feeding your dog? If you are free feeding your dog, stop the free feeding and start feeding small portions in the morning and small portions in the evening. As already mentioned, if you are giving treats, stop the treats until the weight has been lost. What kind of food are you feeding? If it's kibble you cannot go by the chart on the dog food bag. Two of my dogs are 90 lbs. The kibble chart says to feed them 5 cups a day. They get 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the evening and they maintain their weight. They both have a nice waistline, I can feel their ribs and no belly sag. As already mentioned cut the amount of food gradually, 10% this week, and maybe a little less each week until you start to see some progress. To get the weight off is a long process and you cannot give in to the looks and buttering up that you will get from the pup.
Absolutely ^THIS! The bag advice is the general case, all dogs differ. For example, when my German Shepherd was young she ate anywhere from 2 to 5 times the recommended amount, just so her ribs didn't show!

At 9 months that changed, and she started to get pudgy, so I cut her daily food way back!

Now she's 5 yrs old, and unfortunately as of late has been getting less than optimal, IMHO, exercise daily, so I have her on even less than the daily recommended ammount to keep her weight stable.

Feed the dog in front of you, same as you have to train the dog in front of you! Just because it works for me, doesn't at all means it will work for you! Base your judgements and guesses on what seems to be working for you and your dog!

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think what many people fail to take into account is the caloric density of the food they are feeding (the more calorie dense a food is the less you need to feed) and often fail to accurately measure the amount they are feeding (using a standard dry measure measuring cup) resulting in unnecessary weight gain in their pet.
However, we need to keep in mind that our dogs do have a minimum daily nutritional and energy requirement, and when we feed them 'less' there is a limit to how much 'less' we can safely feed without risking nutritional deficiency.

'Therefore, one of the most useful things you can do is learn how to assess your pet’s body condition score and adjust the amount you feed accordingly. You should be aware that if you find that you’re feeding less than 75% of the label’s recommended amount , you should switch to a lower calorie diet or a diet designed specifically for overweight pets to avoid the risk of nutritional deficiencies. Also, be sure to limit treats, table foods, rawhides, and other treats to no more than 10% of your pet’s total daily calorie needs (the Pet Nutrition Alliance calculator gives you an estimate of that amount). Feeding your pet conscientiously and adjusting the amounts based on body condition score will keep your pet in ideal shape which can help him to live a long and healthy life.'

Feeding Frenzy: How Accurate Are Your Pet Food’s Feeding Directions? – Clinical Nutrition Service at Cummings School (tufts.edu)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts