Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dog overly protective of his bone?

19K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  sea 
#1 ·
I currently have two dogs: a dachshund mix (11 months) and a pure pomeranian (4 months).

I recently bought mini rawhide bones for my dogs to chew on.
I gave them each a bone, but my dachshund chose to set aside the bone I gave him. Instead, he went and snatched my pomeranian's bone away. When my pomeranian tried to bring her bone back, my dachshund started to become very aggressive. Although he did not bite her, he growled and pounced on her in a very unfriendly manner.

After I took the bone away, they went back to playfully fighting in the backyard and then they took a nap together in the same bed as they always do.

I'm not sure if I should be so worried. He has always been a very sweet and loving dog, but his behavior shocked me that night. He has never shown any signs of aggression until this incident. Any ideas/comments? :confused:

#4 ·
ditto pawz, that sticky is really helpful, i would recommend reading that, then we can answer questions you have about it... RG is very VERY normal behavior for dogs, it can be a little unsettling though, but you'll see some suggested solutions in that sticky, for now, i would feed the dogs/give them bones when they are separated only :)

#7 ·
My 3 year old chihuahua/basenji mix does the same thing when my sister's 1 year old poodle mix is over. They usually take turns, but when my dog is chewing it, my sister's dog gets in face. He usually gets pinned for snapping at her. Then no more bone. He RG when I'm around but only when he has a tendon.

#8 ·
My 3 year old chihuahua/basenji mix does the same thing when my sister's 1 year old poodle mix is over. They usually take turns, but when my dog is chewing it, my sister's dog gets in face. He usually gets pinned for snapping at her. Then no more bone. He RG when I'm around but only when he has a tendon.
Pinning down a dog is not a good idea...
It really scares the dog and often results in a bite. Not to mention that what you are doing can actually cause your dog to guard more!
Catflwrs, please check out the resource guarding thread that Pawz linked to! It will show you the right way to deal with resource guarding. ;)

#10 · (Edited)
Ok, if we are playing that card. I have worked in "pet retail" for ten years, including kennel work/grooming and exotics, most of which, as top manager/aniimal wrangler, and I would never recommend pinning a dog, even if som'one "knows what they are doing". Thats dangerous advice. Dangerous. Thats how people and kids get nailed.

please read the RG sticky :) Please.

#15 ·
Some dogs are like that, it may have to do with insecurity as well as competition when it comes to the ownership of some things. I have had some dogs who would bite my other dogs if they thought the other dogs was looking at their food or if the other dogs came too close to them while they were eating, those dogs that I had that behaved like that otherwise behaved quite normally, just except for that one quirk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.