Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8 1/2 month old Pitbull- Lab/ Mastiff Tessa has been chewing her fur for the past few months. She gets baths 3 times per week as my other two dogs do. She has raw spots on her fur where she chews and chews. My other two dogs do not do this. Recently she has begun chewing on my Pitbulls fur also. My other dog never does this but I catch Tessa chewing her Frequently, to the point that she has hair loss on her favorite spots to chew her, on her back. I dont know what to do to stop this.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I second the question.....why are you bathing them that many times??!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Because they get dirty. I have a big yard and they love to dig and play in the dirt. I dont live in the city, i have a mini farm so there is plenty of things for them to do outside. Since it's so hot I try to let them spend alot of time in the house during the day to cool off and I dont want dirty dog all over the house. The one dog is the only one that does it. They are still puppies essentially so they LOVE to play really hard. In the morning when the ground is wet with dew they will run laps around the yard, get all wet then role in the dirt. Usually they only get 2 baths per week unless they get particularly dirty in between.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Your striping the oils out of the skin by bathing them too much..thats why they itch...get doggy wipes and wipe them down instead...It'll remove the dirt from the coat, not the oils from the skin..

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts