Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help! My husband and I just adopted a 6 or 7 year old collie mix a little over a month ago. We have designed our laundry room for her for bed time and when we're at work. Everything was fine, except a couple isolated incidents, where she would bark and jump at the door that leads inside. On those isolated incidents it had been windy or storming so nwe assumed she was scared and needed comfort. However, in the past week she has done it every night. On these nights my husband or I have to sleep in our spare bedroom downstairs as we have not had her go upstairs to our room due to the dog and our cat not getting along. The upstairs has become our cats safe place. I have tried letting her bark it out, but that gets frustrating to hear, leaving her outside for a longer time on her last potty session of the night, we just put up a doggy gate tonight and still that did not help the situation. Please please help. I really miss sleeping next to my husband. And mind you, she doesn't do this during the day when we leave for work or the store.

·
Super Moderator
668 Posts
Leaving dogs to bark it out is a quite old school advice and not really thought now to be helpful.

She is probably a bit confused and unsettled. And collies can be sensitive anyway. Where (in relation to her previous owner) sleep before? And, how do you know she doesn't do it in daytime?

Can you and your husband change to make your spare room the normal one? Or, if you want to sleep together, at least do it temporarily while the dog settles? And have her bed in there with you. Gradually, a foot or two at a time every third or fourth day, you can start to move her back to your laundry room. But if she starts barking you have gone too fast so you would have to go back to the previous step for a few more nights.

·
Registered
257 Posts
A month is really no time at all.. Its taken me nearly a year and several steps to get George to sleep in his basket at night and that is at the side of my bed where I can actually hear him breathe!
He thought anything less than nose to nose contact was unbearable..
I used his 'safe' blanket spread on my lap and let him snuggle then put the safe blanket on the foot of my bed and he settled then moved the safe blanket to his basket and he now sleeps there...

I just dont dare wash the blanket yet!

Give the dog time. Dont rush or push or it will only lead to frustrations on all sides.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd rather not turnn the spare bedroom into our bedroom as the only time we get to spend with our cat is when we sleep now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts