Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog has a herniated disk and because of this he can't use his hind legs to walk, so we have to use a towel for his hind end so he can walk with his front legs. He hasn't been able to pee on his own since this happened. Is there something we can give him to make him pee or massage around the bladder area to make him pee?

Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would discuss various options with your vet. Dog has to be able to pee. Placing a towel as a lift under his lower end will cover his penis and inhibit him from peeing on himself, I would think. If you are not planning on doing back surgery to correct the disc problem or your vet doesn't think surgery is an option, (my last 3 y.o dachshund had a mid-back disc blowout, had the surgery, recovered in a few weeks and lived a fairly normal life to age 17) and your dog's back legs are permanently paralyzed, you have some decisions to make. Were he my dog, if I could afford the surgery, I'd go that route. My dog had a quality life for many, many years, running around (although slightly out of alignment). If surgery is too costly for you and there are no financial payout terms available with your surgeon, I'd consider one of those cute wheeled carts they strap on their torsos to allow 2-legged dogs to walk on their own. It hoists their rear end just a couple inches off the ground, allowing their legs (and other parts ;) ) to dangle freely. Then he could pee on his own. But like I said, take up your options with a vet more knowledgeable with the various types/brands of mobility products out there for dogs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts