Dog Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is my dog not going into heat? She acts fine and everything and plays with my other dogs, but it's been 7 months dogs usually go into heat 4 months after birth. It isn't a health problem is it? I might be seeing a little blood on her vulva but It might be pee idk.. It also say's dogs tend to be more aggressive when they go into heat and she is attacking all of my other dogs.
Could she be in heat or am I just imagining it?

·
Registered
146 Posts
At 7 months, not necessarily. Small dogs usually start earlier than medium and large breeds.Very active and/or large dogs can go even later, up to 18 months. BUT, she might be having a silent heat or it's in the first week. If the vulva has changed color, I'd assume she is in heat. But follow up with the vet.

·
Registered
791 Posts
My Golden didn't have her first heat until she was 15 months old. It was very light, and would have been easy to miss had I not been looking very closely every day. She was spayed a few months before her next heat was due to happen.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Why is my dog not going into heat? She acts fine and everything and plays with my other dogs, but it's been 7 months dogs usually go into heat 4 months after birth. It isn't a health problem is it? I might be seeing a little blood on her vulva but It might be pee idk.. It also say's dogs tend to be more aggressive when they go into heat and she is attacking all of my other dogs.
Could she be in heat or am I just imagining it?
When your dog goes into heat it will be quite obvious. There will be blood on your floors, not just some maybe red on her vulva. It's typically heavier initially and tends to taper off or become more sporadic after the first week.

During the second week the vulva become engorged and swells to literally double in size. It's unmistakable and quite obvious.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At 7 months, not necessarily. Small dogs usually start earlier than medium and large breeds.Very active and/or large dogs can go even later, up to 18 months. BUT, she might be having a silent heat or it's in the first week. If the vulva has changed color, I'd assume she is in heat. But follow up with the vet.
I'm sorry if I confused you, She is probably almost 2 yrs old actually..

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Golden didn't have her first heat until she was 15 months old. It was very light, and would have been easy to miss had I not been looking very closely every day. She was spayed a few months before her next heat was due to happen.
I'm sorry if ya'll are confused she isn't 7 months she is almost 2 yrs old. That is when the dog I'm talking about right now went into heat she was 15 months when she went into heat..

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When your dog goes into heat it will be quite obvious. There will be blood on your floors, not just some maybe red on her vulva. It's typically heavier initially and tends to taper off or become more sporadic after the first week.

During the second week the vulva become engorged and swells to literally double in size. It's unmistakable and quite obvious.
Ok, thank you!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not always though. Some dogs have very light heats, even ”silent” heats that are barely noticeable.
Yes, I hear a lot of people say that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts