Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 6-month-old female puppy who is a sweetheart. Pretty much I'm seeking advice from all sources regarding this problem/topic. So when I got my dog at 2 months she was already spayed and they gave me a bag of Hills kibble. The first day she ate the kibble fine and then the next day she wouldn't even touch it. I got worried so I mixed a little bit of brown rice with the kibble and she ate it all. I have been doing this since then but with different foods like salmon, chicken, beans, tuna, beef. She sometimes won't eat the same food within a couple of hours and I give in and give her another food mixed with her kibble. Most days she will come and smell her plate and walk away and I have to hand feed her and sometimes she eats like that and sometimes she doesn't. I have contacted the vet a couple of days ago and she recommended giving her just kibble and take it away after 30 minutes for 3 days and if she doesn't eat then take her to the vet. I have not done this yet because I feel so bad when she looks at me eating my meal so I just give in and give her food scraps mixed with her kibble. I know I'm doing things the wrong way and maybe I should do what the vet recommended. My goal is to have her eat dry kibble alone without food scraps mixed in. Any recommendations/tips, should I do what the vet told me??? Thanks in advance. Also, she is on nexgard and interceptor plus if that changes anything.

·
Super Moderator
1,877 Posts
There are two schools of thought on feeding - one is tough love, lift it after 30 minutes, dogs won't starve themselves.

Personally, I would rather see my dog enjoy his food rather than just eat to survive, it took a while but I have found a couple of foods he really likes. One is cold pressed, so less processed than dry kibble and the other is semi moist - like a kibble but slightly softer.

You can contact companies and ask for samples. Hills isn't great anyway.

I'm not in the US so can't recommend brands, but if a food is advertised on tv, bear in mind that company will have spent a lot on marketing and that is money not invested in the quality of the food.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I do have a dog and he eats really well. I gave him all kinds of food which is beneficial for his health. In the beginning he was doing drama but after some days he started eating everything. Well, if you seem this problem with your dog I will suggest you to contact with a Doctor or some professional over there.

Hope it helps!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts