Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 7 year old Golden / Husky mix who never had a problem eating - he loves food! A few months ago, he got picky with his kibble (Nutro) and I took him to his vet, the diagnosis was behavioral (he wanted soft food). Added some soft food to his kibble, he ate fine. Superbowl weekend, he started again, then that Sunday, he threw up yellow bile, which is unusual for him. I monitored, then that night, he projectile vomited and had diarrhea. I took him back to his vet, they really couldn't find anything and give him an antibiotic and digestive easy food. He was ok for a few days (he is more lethargic than normal), then started throwing up again, though poop was back to normal.
I took him to the emergency vet this past Monday and had blood work and xrays done - all ok, they prescribed pain meds (vet mentioned he could be presenting as a possible back issue?) and prilosec. He is drinking well, ate ok (i bought baby food for him) but threw up Tuesday and Wednesday. Today, I'm bringing him back to his regular vet for a look over, but I"m stumped with what this could be? I got him some bone broth and he seems to like that, he still begs for people food but I'm lost - has anyone had anything similar happen?
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
436 Posts
Could he have developed an intolerance to one if the ingredients (and the nausea from that may have made him reluctant to eat too)?

Chicken is surprisingly common as an ingredient a lot of dogs are intolerant to, maybe a fish based food might be easier on him - it has to be worth a try but do check the ingredients as sometimes things you wouldn't expect are in there and you would be looking for something that doesn't contain the same protein as you are feeding currently.

I'd also be looking at changing from the vet who said it was behavioural ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Joanne, I've been wondering that too. Our vet visit today (yes, the one who said it was behavioral, but that was months ago, and he started eating great after I put some soft food on his kibble) tested for pancreatitis, came back negative. He got a shot for nausea and I have him on bone broth, which he is eating now. She, like the ER vet, think he has some back pain, so he's on meds for that as well. They will be calling tomorrow and if he hasn't eaten, we're going to look at doing an ultrasound on his abdomen. I am going to take your suggestion and see about getting some fish based / different food...thank you so much for your reply, i'm just so worried about him. My boy :)

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Took us literally years to catch on to the fact, that ours can neither tolerate an empty stomach, or a too full one. We feed her three or fours times daily, and she does much better. Don't know how common that it, but in our case the multiply small feedings has resolved 90% of the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I’m a hoomun with stomach issues (my dogs are no help, even the 15 year old with arthritis scarfs his food like they’re rationing it) and maybe I can help. There was “nothing” and “anxiety” wrong with me for years. Nothing turned out to be celiac disease, which you can’t find with an X-ray or ultrasound. All they found on the scans was gas.

I get sick from eating trigger foods, processed foods, too much or too little. Dogs with tummy issues are similar so here’s my two cents:

1-3 days of broth, and then:
Add foods back slowly, one at a time, even if he seems fine. Start feeding him only beef, only fish, or only chicken. You can often get organ meats from farms cheaper than kibble ($1 a lb around here)

spend 1-2 weeks on each food. Or, if he’s tolerating something well, just leave him on it.

Dont overfeed him because bloating can cause vomiting

Try gripe water or a dog anti nauseant

If he feels bloated, give him a belly massage. Warning: there will be farts.

If he feels bloated and looks green in the gills, put him on mush (mashed up veggies in broth) until around 2pm so things have a chNce to pass.
Hope any of that helps!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took us literally years to catch on to the fact, that ours can neither tolerate an empty stomach, or a too full one. We feed her three or fours times daily, and she does much better. Don't know how common that it, but in our case the multiply small feedings has resolved 90% of the problem.
Hi Laco,
I am trying your idea. He normally eats once in the morning and once in the evening, but I'm splitting it up into 4 small meals. Thank you for the idea!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I’m a hoomun with stomach issues (my dogs are no help, even the 15 year old with arthritis scarfs his food like they’re rationing it) and maybe I can help. There was “nothing” and “anxiety” wrong with me for years. Nothing turned out to be celiac disease, which you can’t find with an X-ray or ultrasound. All they found on the scans was gas.

I get sick from eating trigger foods, processed foods, too much or too little. Dogs with tummy issues are similar so here’s my two cents:

1-3 days of broth, and then:
Add foods back slowly, one at a time, even if he seems fine. Start feeding him only beef, only fish, or only chicken. You can often get organ meats from farms cheaper than kibble ($1 a lb around here)

spend 1-2 weeks on each food. Or, if he’s tolerating something well, just leave him on it.

Dont overfeed him because bloating can cause vomiting

Try gripe water or a dog anti nauseant

If he feels bloated, give him a belly massage. Warning: there will be farts.

If he feels bloated and looks green in the gills, put him on mush (mashed up veggies in broth) until around 2pm so things have a chNce to pass.
Hope any of that helps!
Thank you, I will try that! He's on broth now; I'll go get some fish or beef later (he isn't feeling the chicken). Question, what is gripe water?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Let us know how he does with the multiple small feedings daily. As I said, I don't know how common a problem this is, but it certainly works for us. She will still occasionally throw up, but we are talking like once every five or six weeks, vs the 3 to 4 times weekly before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts