Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I have a 8 year old black and tan coonhound mix who occasionally goes on a hunger strike and gets so hungry that he seems to get sick from it. If he goes longer than half a day without eating he gets sick and wants to go outside to eat grass and throw up.
Hes been playing this game for the past week now and the only way he will eat is if I put something delicious in his food like cheese, chicken etc. As soon as he eats he feels better and doesnt want to go eat grass anymore.
Does anybody have any idea what could cause this behavior and how I can get him to eat his usual dry food on a regular basis?
Thanks a lot - your help is appreciated!

Carolin

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would propose that he's not throwing up from not eating, he's not eating because he doesn't feel well. :( Vet care would be my first stop to find out why it's a continual problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey - thanks for your reply!

I did take him to the vet last year when hes had the same problem. They gave me probiotics and said to come back for further tests (biopsy) if the problem persists.
The reason why Im posting here is because it seems strange to me that the only way to make him feel better is to almost force him to eat. Sometimes I have to force him to eat a little piece of chicken and once he gets a good taste he'll start eating and almost immediately after eating he goes back to being himself.
On the days where he has regular meals he doesnt get sick at all.
Thanks for you help!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would definitely get back into the vet for further testing as the problem is persisting. :) In the meantime, what kind of kibble is he getting and how long has he been on it?

·
Registered
169 Posts
the empty stomach can cause som' dogs to vomit up bile. :) My pit bull with vomit if she skips a meal.
Well there ya have it, learn something new every day. :) Kind of a gross question, but I'm genuinely curious in these sorts of things: Does dog bile appear the same way as human bile? i.e., would it be blatantly obvious that it was bile coming up compared to your run-'o-the-mill stomach contents?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
yeah, its like foamy green/yellowish and there isn't tons of it. It looks like funny colored spit. When the dog vomits food, its obvious, looks like chewed up... well, chewed up kibble :)

Som' dogs vomit bile in the mornings here and there, so I hear. It could be a symptom of an obstruction, but if its a routine thing, its likely not. :) Wouldn't hurt to get it checked out.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
169 Posts
There's a table on this page with some useful information and signs to look for. Several causes for recurring vomiting, hence my concern. :)

Causes, Diagnosis and Treatment of Vomiting in Dogs

Of course the easiest approach is changing food brands. Hopefully it's a simple food ingredient/quality issue. There are many knowledgeable people here with regard to nutrition that may have some suggestions for you on that one. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I feed him Purina Dog Chow which I know is not a very good dog food but affordable when you have 2 large dogs ;)
I'm almost 100% sure that my dog only gets sick when he hasnt eaten. I can hear his stomach making loud noises when he gets sick. Now I just need to figure out how to get him to eat his regular meals without me always having to put cheese or meat in it.
Was just wondering if anybody else has dogs who get sick from their hunger strikes.
Can you suggest a good quality dogfood that will not cost me my savings?

Thanks!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've seen many here suggest feeding Kirkland's, which can be found at a reasonable price if you happen to live near a Costco. It can understandably get expensive feeding two large dogs. Regular grocery-grade food is comprised of mostly filler, which can often cause allergic reactions or stomach upset. Petsmart has recently started carrying some better brands as well--you might check out the Dog Food forum and read up on some of the information there and what others have had to say about it.

I'm sure someone else will be along shortly with some more options for you too, though. :)

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Good discussion.
I would second the idea of trying a different food. Find something high quality without Corn gluten meal, soy protein concentrate, etc in it. There's lots of information here on this forum about choosing a good quality food. Maybe he is not eating because his food is not appealing, and/or gives him tummy troubles.

PS. Yes, my dogs will spit up bile if they have not eaten for a day.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Hey everyone!

I have a 8 year old black and tan coonhound mix who occasionally goes on a hunger strike and gets so hungry that he seems to get sick from it. If he goes longer than half a day without eating he gets sick and wants to go outside to eat grass and throw up.
Hes been playing this game for the past week now and the only way he will eat is if I put something delicious in his food like cheese, chicken etc. As soon as he eats he feels better and doesnt want to go eat grass anymore.
Does anybody have any idea what could cause this behavior and how I can get him to eat his usual dry food on a regular basis?
Thanks a lot - your help is appreciated!

Carolin
First off its not a game. The eating grass is to purge the stomach. If they do not eat for a period of time the bile builds up in the stomach and they have to eat the grass to rid the stomach of the bile. I have a hound and they seem to have digestive problems. What do you feed? I found with mine that certain meats were worse than others. The food you are feeding may give him a stomach ache. If someone tried to feed you something you knew would make you sick would you eat it every day?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts