Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 (almost 7) year old small mutt named Lilly. I adopted her when she was 4. I believe Lilly was abused by her former owners.

I took Lilly to the vet for an itchy ear and tail. As usual, she did not cooperate at the vet. She has to be muzzled. She's not bitten anyone that I know of but can get snappy. She just doesn't hold still for the vet. She is terrified. The vet did the normal exam, cleaned her anal glands, and drew blood.

Anyway, turns of she had a yeast infection and clogged anal glands. So have to give her pills and eardrops, which she doesn't like.

So anyway, after returning from the vet she starting having runny stools. She was going about 4 times a day in the house. Vet gave me another prescription. I thought surely she was just sick and she'd be fine and go back to doing her business in the yard.

Two days ago, I put down newspaper to try to get her to use it for the runny stools. She peed on the paper. She was wee-wee pad trained from her former owners and she didn't make a mess so I didn't have an issue. But last night, she peed in the house again. I watched her. I left a calendar on the floor. She was sitting on it and then peed on it and while still going walked around and decided to leave a trail of urine across half the room. So I decided it was time to get the crate. Normally she doesn't sleep in a crate. I locked her in the crate for the night. I woke up and let her out of the crate and it was clean. After I let her out, I must have left the crate door open. I returned later to find her hiding under my bed and the crate soiled in urine and feces.

Her stools seem to be normal again. How to a break this behavior? It's like she's rebelling for me taking her to the vet and putting drops in her ears every night. Also, any ideas how to get her to trust me to put the drops in her ears? She 10 1/2 pounds but it's a two person job to get drops in her ears, that's how much she fights.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What prescriptions?

I'd be looking for a 2nd opinion. What tests have been run?
Atopica (she's been on that a while)
Pepcid to offset upset stomach from Atopica
Metronidazole
Prednisone
Mometamax

Vet really only did a stool sample and bloodwork (to make sure organs were not affected from Atopica). Everything came back normal. Vet said her temperature is normal. I believe she'll be doing a heartworm test when I see her in a week.

Do you know if any other test should be done?

Thank you for your help!

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Atopica (she's been on that a while)
Pepcid to offset upset stomach from Atopica
Metronidazole
Prednisone
Mometamax

Vet really only did a stool sample and bloodwork (to make sure organs were not affected from Atopica). Everything came back normal. Vet said her temperature is normal. I believe she'll be doing a heartworm test when I see her in a week.

Do you know if any other test should be done?

Thank you for your help!
Wow. Poor dog.
Ok, mometamax is a great ear drop - but shouldn't be used for too long, it can cause deafness in dogs. How long are you to use it for?
Atopica, we tried it, make him sick and gave him diarrhea, won't ever use it again.
Prednisone? Why give an immunosuppressant when the dog has an infection?

Isn't Metronidazole for bacterial infection? not yeast?

What are you feeding your dog?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow. Poor dog.
Ok, mometamax is a great ear drop - but shouldn't be used for too long, it can cause deafness in dogs. How long are you to use it for?
Atopica, we tried it, make him sick and gave him diarrhea, won't ever use it again.
Prednisone? Why give an immunosuppressant when the dog has an infection?

Isn't Metronidazole for bacterial infection? not yeast?

What are you feeding your dog?
Ear drops are for 21 days. Vet dad say there was a bit of bacteria in the ear as well so perhaps that was the reason for Metronidazole? I don't know why she gave the Prednisone.

She eats Wellness Simple Limited Ingredient Diet Lamb and Oatmeal Formula Wellness® Simple Lamb & Oatmeal Formula

lamb meatballs to get the meds down

treats:
freeze dried lamb
turkey jerky (only ingredients are turkey and vitamin E)

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Ear drops are for 21 days. Vet dad say there was a bit of bacteria in the ear as well so perhaps that was the reason for Metronidazole? I don't know why she gave the Prednisone.

She eats Wellness Simple Limited Ingredient Diet Lamb and Oatmeal Formula Wellness® Simple Lamb & Oatmeal Formula

lamb meatballs to get the meds down

treats:
freeze dried lamb
turkey jerky (only ingredients are turkey and vitamin E)

I'd be at least asking questions. Mometamax for example is typically 1 treatment per day for 7 days, any longer than that can cause ear damage and/or deafness - no shortage of information on google on dog owners with deaf dogs now. It's a very effective med, we've used it but the vet stressed the possibles. Those meds are alot of potency for a yeast infection.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
She's not pottying like that because she's upset at you. It's likely due to the medicines she's on causing her to do so. She could also have a UTI and I'd want the vet to check for one.

I wonder if the Prednizone isn't responsible for her peeing, peeing while walking is not something a dog normally does. It's a very harsh drug and one of the side effects is increased thirst and urination.

I'd talk to the vet about what medicine she can stop using and see if that helps with the behavioral issues that you are seeing. For now I'd set her up a room, like the bathroom, to sleep in. Put down a couple of puppy pads, and set her bed on the opposite side of the room, keep her in the room whenever you are not able to watch her, and when you let her out try to only do so if you know she's jut pottied.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts