Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 5 year old golden retriever dog and a 10 month springer bitch. She visited the vet yesterday and had an operation to remove a small lump. She is fine but since we brought her home, our dog has become wild! He is clearly agitated, is trying to mount her constantly and has become very forceful. They are usually very playful but this is quite different and is obviously an issue with her having stitches. We had the same problem when we had her spayed.
I was wondering if anyone had come across this before and if so is there anything that we can do to calm him? :ponder:

·
Banned
557 Posts
In an operation the body slows down. i.e. the anal gland can fill up fast. I would fast the female slightly or back off the food so it passes, and if you know how, express the anal glands. Anal glands can confuse a male of a scent of female in heat. ( not a seasoned male but a male never bred.)

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Good point Borzoi!

Also, sometimes closely bonded animals, when seperated (for whatever reason) need to reestablish dominance upon reuniting. Sometimes even 'unbonding' where they need to start from scratch, meet, establish dominance, do some chasing, slowly work up to being best buds again. (If it is that kind of relationship, take them together to the vet the next time-vets are very familiar with 'bonded pairs' coming in together and generally don't mind at all)

If it's not upsetting her, and they can't 'tie', and they are both fixed, and it's not too persistant->maybe let them figure it out?

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
In an operation the body slows down. i.e. the anal gland can fill up fast. I would fast the female slightly or back off the food so it passes, and if you know how, express the anal glands. Anal glands can confuse a male of a scent of female in heat. ( not a seasoned male but a male never bred.)
never knew that...interesting....
Good point Borzoi!

Also, sometimes closely bonded animals, when seperated (for whatever reason) need to reestablish dominance upon reuniting. Sometimes even 'unbonding' where they need to start from scratch, meet, establish dominance, do some chasing, slowly work up to being best buds again. (If it is that kind of relationship, take them together to the vet the next time-vets are very familiar with 'bonded pairs' coming in together and generally don't mind at all)

If it's not upsetting her, and they can't 'tie', and they are both fixed, and it's not too persistant->maybe let them figure it out?
i think a lot of mounting behavior is from excitement too....can't find the trhread right this sec...anyway, do you think it's possible that he just missed her soooo much and is really excited to see her back again.....
Yes it can Mikey!
Dogs know each other by scents so hopefully we can given the answer needed her.
huh???

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Banned
557 Posts
It is a common problem in males that were never bred to mis understand the smell of an anal gland. The dog could be male or female but the other dog thinks the smell means " in heat.." Very common problem and why even if two males and suddenly one is mounting the other, check the anal glands of the one being mounted. Usually full..
Dogs operate mostly by odors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts