Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1 1/2 year old Hound (I think walker/beagle mix or walker mixed with something). I got Jeannie from the SPCA October last year. She was very timid which was to be expected of a dog that had spent a month in 2 different shelters and (I think) hit on at some point.

Here we are 9 months later and She is doing AMAZING! She isn't scared of people or other dogs anymore and I've taught her the basics of sit, down, off, leave-it, heel, wait, come, etc.. The one thing I cannot break is her jumping habit. Day 1 she jumped on me.. not aggressive but she just like to come up and say hello and she likes to come up to your level when you play with her.

I have tried everything I can think of.

The most common suggestion people give is to not give her any attention until she is calm and has all 4 on the floor. This does not work even in the slightest with Jeannie. It only makes her become more hyper and jump more because she wants you to pay attention to her.

She wears a chain training collar and she will pull to the point she is nearly choking herself to jump on someone in the parking lot.. She just wants to be petted on :/ Once she sees another dog or person, I no longer exist and they become her sole focus. I have even tried standing between her and whatever her focus is in order to break her focus and bring it back to me. This doesn't work either, she just fights to get around me.

She knows the "off" command and I repeat it over and over and over when she is jumping but she just ignores it.

If you raise your knee when she jumps on you to push her off she just tries to go around your knee.

If you put your hands out in front of her face to keep her off you and tell her off, well, she thinks this is a game and will start jumping at pawing at your hands.

My friends joke with me that she likes to d*ck punch you because a couple of my friends are rather tall and she ends up punching them in the privates when she jumps :D

I've watched videos on youtube, read threads here, Just nothing is working and I'm running out of ideas. The only time she ever stopped jumping was when I yelled at her REALLY loud "OFF" when I had gotten frustrated and she was jumping on my step-mom. She cowered and ran away :( The only reason she stopped jumping was I scared her. Obviously this is not an option either.

Today, she jumped on and nearly knocked down an old man in our parking lot. He chuckled and said "its ok", I apologized and we went on.. I have to curb this behavior quickly but I am just at a loss as to what to do.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Have you tried asking for a sit? You may want to up your ignoring game as well.

So, someone shows up (start with people you know and can instruct well). They -or you, whatever you prefer - ask her to sit. If she sits, she gets all the loving in the world --- as long as she remains sitting. If she gets up, they turn around. If she persists, walk away. Don't pay any attention (positive or negative) to her jumping - just pretend she isn't there. Obviously don't have them run away (just walk) and don't have them make any odd noises that may rev her up.

My Aussie looooves people and used to have the same problem. We tried this out and after awhile, it worked like a charm.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried Off, Sit and Down. If you move away from her she will chase and jump and nearly tackle you. I haven't tried just turning my back though.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
For the jumping on you and your guests at home, I have a few ideas.
1) Have you tried removing yourself from the room? As soon as she jumps, you turn, say nothing, and exit. Wait a few seconds, and try again. I think the talking to her "Off, off, off" and trying to block her/push her off is very exciting for her, and now it's a game.
2) Try to teach an alternate behaviour. For example, if every time you come into the house her default behaviour is to go lay down on her mat, she won't be able to jump on people as they arrive.

For jumping up on other people, it's a very hard behaviour, because it is so easily enforced whenever someone says "Oh it's okay I LOVE dogs" *pat, pat, pat*. If you can get a friend to walk towards you, you can practice putting her in a sit, and as soon as she starts straining or lunging forward, use a super stinky treat (hot dogs or funky cheese work well), put it to his nose and in a cheerful voice say let's go, and walk in the other direction. Then try again.

I feel for you, jumping up is a tough behaviour to interrupt.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
For sit and down (has to be reliable first), make sure you're asking for it when she is actually on her way to you or approaching the person. Once she's already there it's likely to be too late. Also I would require some sort of polite behavior and acknowledgement of my existence (eye contact, sit, downs, etc.) and then use greeting as a reward.:)

I think working on impulse control exercises in general may help.
http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/impulse-control-calmness-168218/

Also take a look at the resources in this thread. Training a breadcrumbs trail greeting might be super helpful. :)
http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/polite-greetings-people-dogs-174673/

·
Registered
19 Posts
my puppy is also a jumper. I have found that ignoring him or putting him in a short time out (such as in his ex pen) has helped a bit. I also try to carry high value treats with me so he is more motivated to sit or go down instead of jump on me.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Aspen jumped. A lot.

I used the "sit or you're never getting pet again" method. It worked really well, but as @kmes said, you MUST have a perfect sit. I also used "watch me" just to get her focused on something other than jumping. This worked well around other people because she stopped paying attention to them and started paying attention to me. I would then allow petting.

Another thing that I want to mention is that if you're using "off" as your word, make sure she knows what that means. If she doesn't, it's a blank word. When she's on the couch, tell her "off" and see what she does. Aspen knows that "off" means "where ever your feet are, I want them on the floor". Pairing these two methods has really helped.

Aspen is a really hyper pup haha. Having 3 small children, I couldn't allow her to be a jumping maniac. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have this problem with my 5 month old Boxer mix. He's a Boxer, so he already has that rearing and boxing thing going on. No matter what I do, he wants to jump up to be closer to people, and nothing I've done has seemed to work in the slightest. I wish I had some tips, but I don't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts