Dog Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hi everyone. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I thought I would give you an update on Chopper.

The vet wanted to run him through an Ivermectim plan in case it was mites. He got much worse so we took him to the dermatologist and had a blood test done. He has allergies to fescue (which is the grass 99% of all yards here have), Bermuda grass, and sage (is this used in dog food).

He has been on Apoquel for a few weeks and is doing great. He was also given ketoconazole and simplicef.

It was recommended we have him tested for more allergies. The last trip cost us $560. To be honest, I don't see us having more testing for a while. I am upset that the vet would actually ask this since I told her I can't afford both so I can do the one that she recommends. And also, Apoquel is working. His hair is growing back, his energy level is normal, and he is happy. That makes us happy.

I'll get pictures soon.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi, I just read your original post and update. My dog went through something similar, and we spent nearly a year trying to figure out the problem. He is also currently taking apoquel. He's allergic to grass, and gets horrible hives all over when my husband mows the lawn. Our vet also recommended switching to a prescription diet, but he wouldn't eat the food. I make his food, and add in a mix by the Honest Kitchen. That has also seemed to help his allergies year-round. What did you settled on as far as his diet? I'm interested as it seems our dogs have similar skin issues. I hope all is well. Thanks!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts