Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 8 year-old 50 lb. hound mix dog has been limping for over a month. Seems his front right paw may be bothering him. We took him to the vet four weeks ago as I was concerned about osteosarcoma or arthritis. The vet palpated him well and didn't find anything, nor a strong reaction from my dog. She said osteosarcoma would be much for painful and he would have reacted from the palpating. Is this true?

She did not recommend a scan or X-ray. Just to have him rest until it's better. But it's not better yet. We can't see anything obvious, like a splinter, crack, cut, or split nail. But he also doesn't let us look very thoroughly.

We was better for a few days earlier in the month, then he went to his doggie hotel for a week and now it's worse. So maybe all the running around made it worse?

I just called the vet and they will give her the message to see what we should do next (she's out of the office until wednesday though).

Should I be freaking out?? I am still worried about osteosarcoma. And if it's not that, then I just hate seeing my pup in pain. Can a toe fracture or sprain be the cause?

He has an appetite. He's still his happy self. He does seem to have developed conjunctivitis two days ago and he always has some ear issues. He's hypothyroid and on levothyroxine. A little chubby. Otherwise he's been healthy and his bloodwork a few months ago came back ok.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Rest, when recommended by a vet usually means no running, jumping or other strenuous activity. For limps I give complete rest for two weeks. If no improvement I go back to vet for further discussion on diagnostic options.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rest, when recommended by a vet usually means no running, jumping or other strenuous activity. For limps I give complete rest for two weeks. If no improvement I go back to vet for further discussion on diagnostic options.
Just noticed now that someone replied to my question. Thank you!

We did end up doing COMPLETE rest for over a week. Just peeing and pooping in the yard allowed. I think he had major cabin fever, but it seems to have worked! He is no longer limping! Such a relief. I really hope it doesn't return and still curious what may have caused it.

Anyways, I just wanted to express my thanks for responding. :)

·
Registered
911 Posts
I'd get an x-ray done if he starts limping again. Things like fish oil and turmeric both have anti inflammatory properties. It may help, and even if it doesn't help the limp fish oil has other benefits.

·
Registered
17 Posts
if it comes back don't hesitate in taking him to the vet straight away!! you never know what it could be, and it breaks my heart to see a dog suffering unnecessarily.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts