Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My shepherd mix is constantly sniffing and licking my cocker/springer mixes penis. He then opens and closes his mouth. The olfactory senses thing from what i understand. But first of why does he do this and how do i make him stop. Its been going on for a very long time. Little one doesn't have any health issues.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Dogs will often lick to clean, if you see it happening & you dont like it, then I just say enough or (nuff nuff) or leave it & move the dog away gently if he doesnt listen ar first, he should catch on after a while so you could try that. You'll need to do it repeatedly for a while. Treat if he responds to food, praise pat when he leaves it. My dog stuck her head under my neighbours big dogs leg when he was peeing a few times when she was a tiny pup & got a golden shower! & then another shower when she got home from me of course! That was enough to stop her going in that zone. Before that, she had licked his bits & looked very pleased with herself for being so helpful. He also looked very pleased so I think its considered a friendly gesture between dogs. Mumma dogs lick the puppies everywhere to clean them so it can also be a paternal instinct.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have several dogs that love licking my other dogs faces and ears but they know what I mean when I say "quit licking". I have never had to physically stop them, just saying to quit was enough to get their attention enough that they stopped.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts