Dog Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was wondering if any animal behavior professionals or knowledgeable enthusiasts can comment on this. My dog (a female husky mix who will be turning 7 yo next month), has recently visited the kennel where she was born and spent the first 6 weeks of her life. She was 1 of a litter of 9 puppies. Since we got her almost 7 years ago, she has seen her dog family at the same kennel (or on one or two outings) a total of maybe 3 times, once when she was 1.5 or 2, once when she was 4 or 5 and once last year. This time when we visited the kennel my pup had occasion to spend an extended amount of time with her canine mother one on one and we had a chance to observe. They were friendly enough, but did not seem to act any differently than saying a friendly hello, or spending time with just another dog. Not that I would necessarily expect them too, but I became really curious if my dog *knows* that this is where she came from and that this was her canine mom (three of her siblings stayed at the kennel and have continued to live there for the last 7 years as well).

Is there any instinctive biological imprinting that occurs in puppies when they are very young? Or does she just remember that this was a familiar place that she's been to before and it smells familiar, but that's about it?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts