Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Have you been giving him anything for allergies? You can give benedryl, 1MG per pound of body weight.

At this stage, however, I think he really should go back to the vet for better medication than that. One of my dogs, Tiger, has allergy problems that affect his eyes in the warmer months, and benedryl just didn't make the grade. He's now on cetirizine (brand name, Zyrtec) and just had another vet visit because even THAT wasn't working very well anymore. He's still on it, but now has some ointment that I have to put in his eyes for the next couple of days (yes, we're having a good time administering that, to be sure), a steroid blend with a really long name, shortened to NeoPolyBac w/DEX. It's been FANTASTIC.

PLEASE take him back to the vet, and try a different one. I'm finding it difficult to believe that a vet would prescribe an antibiotic and not treat for the CAUSE of the problem, which is pretty clearly an allergy. Letting something like this go on for months may be damaging your dogs eyes permanently.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Thanks for sharing about Tiger. We probably should have tried Benadryl early on as I'm now seeing it recommended on several forums but did not get that advice before. As for trying a different vet, we actually did go to another one after the first treatment I described in the OP didn't help. He suggested allergy and blood tests but they were going to cost over $1,000. So we took a cheaper route he recommended to no avail (different antibiotic and switching flea treatment to include mites). Starting yesterday, we switched his food to Origens grain-free for its hypoallergenic ingredients and​ Vet's Best seasonal allergy supplements.

About how much should we be expecting to spend to test for allergies?
$1000??! Ridiculous. Apparently you've found a vet that, sadly, wants to squeeze you for all he can get at your dog's expense. :( You don't have to test for seasonal allergies. If this happens in the warmer months, it's clearly an environmental problem that happens to millions of dogs. You're feeding very well, and I'm sure it's helping, but you need to find a good anti-histamine and probably a steroid, as your dogs problem is, at this point, SERIOUS.

You could try again with that same vet and just demand he prescribe a good allergy medicine and steroid backup immediately. If he for whatever reason declines, immediately request your records from his office to show what you've tried so far; the vet should comply readily. Please be firm with your next vet if you try a different one. Tests are not necessary. Prescribe a good allergy med and a steroid backup or tell them you will again be going elsewhere.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.